× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reading Old ReadyNas drives on Windows 10

Forseer
Aspirant

Reading Old ReadyNas drives on Windows 10

Hello,

I need to access my old ReadyNas drives, so I purchased a plug-and-play SATA to USB 3.0 drive to connect my Windows 10 computer to copy some files to another drive.

I can see the disk in the disk management, but I can’t get it to recognize in drives and devices to pull the files.

Is there a program I need to pull the data?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
F

Actual product below.

NAS on Amazon 

NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN422

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Were you running XRAID or RAID-1 on the NAS?

Is the NAS still available and running?

FWIW, Windows (and MacOS) don't support the needed file system.  With Windows, you can try downloading beta software for MDADM and BTRFS.  Once that is installed, we could give you some guidance on the commands needed to mount the file system.

You could alternatively purchase RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS, but that is quite expensive.

Message 2 of 4
Forseer
Aspirant

Running Raid 1

How about accessing the drive with Linux?  I'm unable to see the drive at all with Linux.

Or is to the Netgear ReadyNAS is **bleep** and I should have purchased Synology like the rest of the world?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Forseer wrote:

Running Raid 1

How about accessing the drive with Linux?  I'm unable to see the drive at all with Linux.

Yes, that will work.  Are you saying you aren't seeing the disk at all (in /dev)?  If that's the case, the disk is likely dead - you could try the other one.

You need to install mdadm and btrfs.  You can then mount the file system.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements