× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS 104 Crashes when changing Network settings putname+14, kfree+168

Dremscape
Aspirant

Ready NAS 104 Crashes when changing Network settings putname+14, kfree+168

Seem to be having trouble changing my network settings, currently have 2 Nics teamed and set to use Transmit Load Balancing (Layer 2), initially I was trying to just change the MTU size, but when I do so the NAS seems to become unresponsive and displays error putname+14, power button does nothing and the only way to get it back is to pull the power.

Following this I decided to delete the bond entirely, same thing happened, in fact have tried changing various setting on it now and each seems to have the same effect albeit a different error ocasionally such as putname+14, kfree+168 and a couple of others I didnt note at the time.

None of the changes take effect after restarting. Current OS version was 6.9.4 (Hotfix 1), have since tried upgrading to latest beta to see if this resolved the issue, It did not.

Anyone seen this before or have a solution?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@jgisin wrote:

I have this same issue. I'm trying to delete the bond0 so I can create a new one and I get kfree+168 on the LCD. Same thing if I just try to modify the bond. WTF? How about some reliefe from this nonsense?

I am running the latest 6.10.2

Hopefully it's on the list of things to be fixed.

One thing you could try is doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That will

• reset the network to default settings (no bonding, MTU=1500, dhcp)
  • change the admin password back to password
  • disable volume quota (can be changed back on the volume settings wheel)

See pages 28-29 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

FWIW, the RN100 series performance is mostly limited by it's relatively slow processor and memory.  There's not a lot of performance gain to be had with bonding.  I'd just use it with one ethernet connection myself.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 28

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Dremscape wrote:

None of the changes take effect after restarting. Current OS version was 6.9.4 (Hotfix 1), have since tried upgrading to latest beta to see if this resolved the issue, It did not.

6.9.5 has been released for about a week now - so if you are running beta or release candidate you should update it.

If you are running the 6.10 beta, then stay with it - you aren't able to downgrade back to 6.9.x.

@Dremscape wrote:

Following this I decided to delete the bond entirely, same thing happened

Perhaps also try removing one of the ethernet cables.

If you are on the 6.9.x branch, maybe also try 6.9.3 and see if that changes the behavior.

Message 2 of 28
Dremscape
Aspirant

Oddly 6.9.5 didn't show up for me under stable release which is why I went for the Beta, unfortunately the 6.10 one so no way back.

Have already tried unplugging cables but seems to make no difference, found a similar issue on an old thread (Link bellow) around bonded nics but creating rather than removing or altering, seemed to be fixed for them in 6.9.3, wondering if the issue may of crept back in but gone unnoticed or be linked to any fix that may of been implemented for this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Error-putname-64-amp-strlen-10-on-R...

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Dremscape wrote:

Oddly 6.9.5 didn't show up for me under stable release

It takes a while before they put a new release on the update server.  You should have simply manually installed it.

Anyway, you are 6.10.x now.  Hopefully @OOM-9 will see this and respond.

Message 4 of 28
Trickydicky666
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue, i am trying to Bond Eth0 and Eth1 and everytime i make the link it locks up solid and gives me the kfree+168, i had this on 6.9.4 and now on 6.9.5 exactly the same. I have 4*4gb drives raid 10.

Message 5 of 28
Dremscape
Aspirant

Have now updated to latest stable build 6.10.0, yet the issue still remains, any attemt to change the NIC settings to anything else results in it locking up and erroring.

Message 6 of 28
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dremscape,

Can you download the system logs then provide it to us? We will further what is causing the error.

You may upload it to Google Drive then send to me the download link via PM (private message).

Regards,

Message 7 of 28
Trickydicky666
Aspirant

I managed to sort the issue, bought a Synology ds1819+ have bonded 4 Ethernet and it’s 10x faster. Ready NAS 104 for sale now! 😀
Message 8 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Trickydicky666 wrote:
I managed to sort the issue, bought a Synology ds1819+ have bonded 4 Ethernet and it’s 10x faster

Yes, a new top-of-the-line x86 desktop NAS will outperform an old entry level arm NAS.

Message 9 of 28
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dremscape,

What is the MTU size you are trying to set on the NAS?

It looks like the NIC is complaining about the size of the frame. Wants to send frame 1440 but MTU is only set to 1400.

[Mon May 20 17:09:28 2019] mvneta d0074000.ethernet eth1: bad rx status 0f850000 (max frame length error), size=1440

Regards,

Message 10 of 28
Dremscape
Aspirant

Hi John

Yes it is currently set at 1400 and was trying to set it back to 1500, but dont think it really makes a difference what I try to set it to it still just crashes as soon as I make a change, just tried setting it to 1440 out of curiosity, it crashed and displayed KFree+168, the only way forward from there is to pull the plug to reset it as power buttons do nothing once it crashes,also any changes made revert back after the restart.

I have also tried deleting the bond to start over this has the same result, just seems I cannot make any changes to it at all.

Regards Darren

Message 11 of 28
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dremscape,

Have you tried updating the NAS firmware to 6.10.1? If yes, are you still getting the same issue?

If you are still getting the same issue on 6.10.1, it will be best if you contact NETGEAR support so they can further investigate this issue.

Regards,

Message 12 of 28
Dremscape
Aspirant

Hi John

Yes just tried upgrading to 6.10.1, exact same issue remains, any single change to the network settings no mater what I change including deleteing it entirely, results in a crash and settings revert back after a hard restart.

Tried support but it is out of complimentary support and the only options im given are ask the community or search our knowledge base both of which ive exhausted, guess ill just have to live with it untill I can find a spare 12TB somewhere to back it up too so I can do a complete factory reset, may be awhile!

Message 13 of 28
D_Ace
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue...

any movement on a resolution?

Have a bonded setup with adaptive Load balance but got new switch and want to give LAG a go but when I went to break bond, got the kfree+168 message on ReadyNas 104 (6.10.1 firmware version) lcd screen.

Is there another process to switch up the network settings without crapping out the NAS?

Thanks for any feedback...

Message 14 of 28
thetedium
Star

having same issue. Trying to set jumbo frames. Type 9014 MTU, box crashes kfree+168

Tried going in via the other port then changing the first one. Doesnt work, after more crashes still says MTU1500

Message 15 of 28
jgisin
Aspirant

I have this same issue. I'm trying to delete the bond0 so I can create a new one and I get kfree+168 on the LCD. Same thing if I just try to modify the bond. WTF? How about some reliefe from this nonsense?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jgisin wrote:

Hopefully it's on the list of things to be fixed.

One thing you could try is doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That will

• reset the network to default settings (no bonding, MTU=1500, dhcp)
  • change the admin password back to password
  • disable volume quota (can be changed back on the volume settings wheel)

See pages 28-29 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

FWIW, the RN100 series performance is mostly limited by it's relatively slow processor and memory.  There's not a lot of performance gain to be had with bonding.  I'd just use it with one ethernet connection myself.

Message 17 of 28
jgisin
Aspirant

Thank you. I will try your suggestion and report back.

Does the OS reinstall affect any volume, share, user or sharing protocol settings?
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@jgisin wrote:

Does the OS reinstall affect any volume, share, user or sharing protocol settings?

Just the settings I outlined above.  Everything else should remain as it is.  

Message 19 of 28
thetedium
Star

I just dont touch it any more. When your backup asks you to reinstall from a backup, im just waiting for it to die and then Im never buying this crap ever again. I mean they had to work really hard to build a device this bad at its one job, to transfer files, and then it only does 20mbps. Its an elephant balancing on a teacup

Message 20 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@thetedium wrote:

and then it only does 20mbps. 

You should be getting 50-70 MB/sec with an RN100 series NAS over wired ethernet - so something sounds wrong with your system (or network).

Message 21 of 28
thetedium
Star

everything else on the network does 100. There is something wrong with the network though, it has this hunk of junk on it

Message 22 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@thetedium wrote:

everything else on the network does 100. 

Are you looking for help or just trolling?

If you want help, then start a new thread.

Message 23 of 28
thetedium
Star

well I was about a year ago. But I keep getting notifications from this thread that it doesnt work for anyone else either

Message 24 of 28
Dremscape
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, the OS re-install did the trick.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements