× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS 314 - Fine on RAIDar but Can't open in File explorer

aguden_guden_co
Luminary

Ready NAS 314 - Fine on RAIDar but Can't open in File explorer

I have one ReadyNAS 314 and one 316.  Both show up when I run RAIDar but when I click on either of the devices shown on Windows (10) file explorer, I cannot connect to either device.  The message I get is "Windows cannot access\\NAS-D5-F1-A2"  If Iclick on details it returns Error code 0x80070035.  The network path was not found"  Clicking on diagnose returns "Troubleshooting cannot identify the problem."  Any ideas? Screen shot attached.

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS 314 - Fine on RAIDar but Can't open in File explorer

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

I have one ReadyNAS 314 and one 316.  Both show up when I run RAIDar but when I click on either of the devices shown on Windows (10) file explorer, I cannot connect to either device.  The message I get is "Windows cannot access\\NAS-D5-F1-A2"  If Iclick on details it returns Error code 0x80070035.  The network path was not found"  Clicking on diagnose returns "Troubleshooting cannot identify the problem."  Any ideas? Screen shot attached.

What happens if you open CMD and enter:

net use * /del /y
net use t: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\SHARENAME /user:admin NAS-ADMIN-PASSWORD

replacing the placeholder SHARENAME with a real share name, and replacing NAS-ADMIN-PASSWORD with the real NAS admin password.

Message 2 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

Ok.  I tried that but got an error.  I added the substituted the share 'media' and the password 'password'.  (Haven't changed it yet!)  Screen shot attached. I must have done something wrong.

Message 3 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

missed the 1st line:  Net use */del /y as a separate line

Response to this line is:

There are no entries in the list.  

Then when I execute the 2nd line:

net use t: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\media /user:admin password

I get a response that the specified network password is not correct.  But it is unless there is a context error.

And to make matters more interesting, the files on the NAS boxes are now accessable on file explorer???? Fixed itself?

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

And to make matters more interesting, the files on the NAS boxes are now accessable on file explorer???? Fixed itself?

It could be that the net use * /del /y resolved it. That command terminates any open SMB sessions.

But I have no explanation on why the second command gave you the password error.

Message 5 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

THis probably resolved itself.  My backup using SynchBack Free ran successfully at 3:00 am.  So it was good at that time.  The reason I posted the yesterday was that SynchBack was having problems and the other issues were there.  The only thing that I can think that I ran the day before was USBOblivion which cleans up a bunch of USB issues but it could do some other things.  I will run it again and then see if I am ok.  I'll try net use * /del /y in the future when I see this problem.  It is a situation I see once in a while.  Thank you for your help.  Very much appreciated.

Message 6 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

Ok.  I ran USB Oblivion and that put me where I was before the NAS came back on line:

1. Ok on RAIDar

2. NG on Windows file explorer - 

3. Ran net use * /del /y  in CMD as admin.  Returned "There are no entries on the list.

4. Ran net use t: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\media /user:admin password:password - returned The semaphore time out period has expired.

5. Tried it with the IP address: net use t: \\192.168.1.22\media /user:admin password:password - this responded that the password was incorrect????

The USB Oblivion does create a backup of the registry before it runs.

Unless someone has a great idea, I suspect I shouldn't run USB Oblivion unless I have a big USB problem.  I am fully expecting this to repair itself within a few days.  Just awful annoying.  

Message 7 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

one other thing I noticed was that one of the 2 NAS boxes was indexing and the other wasn’t. RAIDar continues to work fine. Explorer not at all.  

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

5. Tried it with the IP address: net use t: \\192.168.1.22\media /user:admin password:password - this responded that the password was incorrect????

Wrong syntax.  It should be net use t: \\192.168.1.22\media /user:admin password

No password: bit

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

4. Ran net use t: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\media /user:admin password:password - returned The semaphore time out period has

That suggests there is a name resolution issue, since the IP address works.  You could try ping NAS-D5-F1-A2 from CMD and see if that works.

Message 9 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

With correct syntax I get the same response that the password is incorrect.  Ping returns 4 packets send and none returned.  All lost.

THe second NAS box is now back on line and normal!  Will see where I am in the morning.  Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

Ping returns 4 packets send and none returned.  All lost.

Are you pinging the IP address or the hostname?

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

With correct syntax I get the same response that the password is incorrect. 

Try changing the password.

Message 11 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

net use t: \\NAS-E6-23-FE\media /user:admin HugeDisk2018

This works correctly and assigns T: as the drive to the NAS drive.  This is the one that has come back on line.

net use u: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\media /user:admin W1fLOjkwhM

Changed the password and used U: for the drive letter.  This just times out.  

I tried the following but I must have the context wrong:

PING 192.168.1.21 worked fine

PING 192.168.1.22 also worked fine

PING \\NAS-E6-23-FE\ and PING \\NAS-E6-23-FE\  both reported that it could not find the host so I have the context wrong.

Also you had me run Net Use * /del /y.  I haven't rerun that since yesterday.  Do I need to run it any additional times?

Still windows explorer works for the first drive but not the 2nd.  After running USB Oblivion both were unreachable but now one has come back.  I wonder if we should keep trying to figure this out or should I run USB Oblivion again to confirm that the other drive goes off line when I run it?  

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

PING \\NAS-E6-23-FE\ and PING \\NAS-E6-23-FE\  both reported that it could not find the host so I have the context wrong.

No backslashes with ping.

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

net use u: \\NAS-D5-F1-A2\media /user:admin W1fLOjkwhM

What if you use the NAS IP address instead of the hostname?

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

Also you had me run Net Use * /del /y.  I haven't rerun that since yesterday.  Do I need to run it any additional times?

Generally I run it before I do any net use test.  It closes all open SMB sessions (so it would unmap t if you are testing u).

But you don't always need it.  Windows can only handle one user/password for a machine (NAS) at a time.  If you are testing multiple user accounts, then you definitely do need to enter it, because Windows doesn't close the SMB session immediately after you close the explorer window.

Message 13 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

Just one more note:  I disconnected the T: from the drive and was able to use the command 

net use t: \\192.168.1.21\media /user:admin HugeDisk2018

It assigned T: to the drive.  But again both tries on the other drive failed.

Message 14 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@aguden_guden_co wrote:

It assigned T: to the drive.  But again both tries on the other drive failed.

Maybe try rebooting the PC and the NAS next.

Message 15 of 16
aguden_guden_co
Luminary

Both NAS boxes are back fully online now.  Ver odd but evidently that program cleans something out of the registry and after a while the network fixes it.  It may be one of the bunch of overnigt things that run from the task scheduler.  I've spent enough time on it and so have you all.  My take away is don't run USB Oblivion unless something really needs fixing (I usually just do it premptively).  And if I have to do it just have patience and every thing will be normal in a day or two.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements