× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready NAS RN 214 Volume Expansion

rajansharma012
Aspirant

Ready NAS RN 214 Volume Expansion

I purchase a Netgear NAS RN 214 (4Bay) and want to upgrade the HDD as per below :

HDD 1    HDD 2     HDD 3     HDD 4
4 TB       8 TB        8 TB         Blank

HDD 1 and HDD 2 i installed 1 year back and now i want to install HDD 3 (8 TB) but why is show grey color.
Is is display in blue color as both of the HDD show after synchronization was completed.

To check i attact the 4 TB hard disk in HDD3 and then raid 1 (previously i attach 2 HDD) converted into raid 5 and show as other hdd in blue color, after that i again remove that 4 TB hard disk and attach the new 8 TB hard disk in HDD3 but it again in grey color.

Please see the attach file for current status with red color box.

and also know total capacity of HDD RN 214 supports (24 TB or 48 TB) and also max hdd supported in single slot.

Firmware : 6.10.2 (latest)

Also want to know customer care number in India.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@rajansharma012 wrote:

HDD 1 and HDD 2 i installed 1 year back and now i want to install HDD 3 (8 TB) but why is show grey color.
Is is display in blue color as both of the HDD show after synchronization was completed.

In your screen shot, the array is still resyncing.  Wait until that completes, and then let us know if the array looks normal.  It will take a while - every sector on all three disks needs to be either read or writting as part of the process.  Don't manipulate the disks while this process is ongoing - you can easily lose data if you do that.

It should expand to 12 TB (~10.9 TiB on the web ui).  That will happen in two steps - first the array should grow to 8 TB (~7.27 TiB), and then it should expand again to 12.

Message 2 of 4
rajansharma012
Aspirant

Thanks... Thanks... Thanks...

Thanks... a lot

HDD-3 was configured after its array complete.

XRaid give 10.91 TB Space after 20 TB of HDD installation.

Please see the new attachment

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@rajansharma012 wrote:

XRaid give 10.91 TB Space after 20 TB of HDD installation.

That is the correct amount (though it actually is giving 10.91 TiB).

The capacity rule for XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  (4+8+8)=20 TB, and 20-8 => 12 TB.  The remaining 8 TB of space is used for RAID parity blocks that give you redundancy when a disk fails (or when storage is expanded).

However, another aspect is that while disk manufacturers use TB (1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes), Windows computers (and the NAS) use TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024) bytes.  1 TiB is about 1.0995 TB.  12 TB is the same as 10.91 TiB.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements