× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Xraid Expansion

WuCornwall
Follower

Ready NAS Xraid Expansion

I had 2x 8TB drives and added 2x 10TB drives to the ReadyNas.  I had it set to Xraid not FlexRaid.  When I added the first drive, it reconfigured to a RAID 5 system (stupid thing couldn't wait 10 seconds for the 2nd drive so that it would be a quick convert to Raid10 which is what I wanted).   Now that the Raid 5 is data resyncing is completed and I have added the 2nd 10TB drive back in.  Will Xraid automatically set this up as a Raid10, or will I have to back-up, and then delete everything to get the Raid10 system that I want?

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Ready NAS Xraid Expansion

XRAID does not utilize RAID10.  You'll end up with two layers of RAID that are concatinated into the volume:  4x8TB in RAID5 and 2x2TB (the remaining 2TB from each 10TB) in RAID1.  It's a lot more space, but less redundancy than RAID10.

If you wanted RAID10, you needed to switch to FlexRAID before adding the first 10TB. 

Via SSH, there is a way to back out of this, but it's a bit complex.  See Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-WITHOUT-DATA-LOSS-is-possible for some examples.

If any of that makes you uncomfortable, backing up and starting over from a deleted volume or factory default is your better path.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements