× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS turned read only

JLJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ready NAS turned read only

Today my RN102 seemed to turn read only. Noticed that Ready cloud was terminated and wondered if the two has anything to do with each other. 

No matter what the cause is, how can I solve this?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS turned read only

@JLJ wrote:

Today my RN102 seemed to turn read only. Noticed that Ready cloud was terminated and wondered if the two has anything to do with each other. 

No.

@JLJ wrote:

No matter what the cause is, how can I solve this?

Download the log zip - you'll likely find either BTRFS errors or disk errors in systemd-journal.log, kernel.log, or system.log.

The first step is to back up your data, as it is at risk,

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

The first step is to back up your data, as it is at risk,

I want to emphasize that re-booting is NOT the next step.  The volume goes read-only to keep it as intact as possible when a BTRFS error occurs.  Many have come here who originally saw this and decided to re-boot, only to find the volume would no longer mount at all.

You are likely going to end up having to at least destroy your volume and re-create it, or possibly do a factory default to be sure you have a "clean" volume, so you are going to need that backup and should get it while you can.  Hopefully, you've been backing up all along, and it's just a matter of doing a final sync.

Message 3 of 7
JLJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where do I find that log?

And it feels like it's something else. I have two external hdds connected to the ReadyNas and I can't write to them either.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JLJ wrote:

Where do I find that log?

There's a download link on the logs page.  Click on that to get the full log zip file.

@JLJ wrote:

And it feels like it's something else.

It's definitely triggered by something wrong with the file system.

No matter what it is, your data is very much at risk.  If you don't back it up quickly, you could lose it all.

As @Sandshark says, don't reboot or take other actions on the NAS until after you back up the data you need to preserve.

Message 5 of 7
JLJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since Netgear is shutting down ReadyCloud it feels like the best solution is to just get a new nas instead. The current one is after all ten years something.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JLJ wrote:

it feels like the best solution is to just get a new nas instead. The current one is after all ten years something.

One option is to do a factory default on the NAS after the replacement is running, and then use it for backup.

Note the issue might well be repairable without data loss.  And it is often triggered by disk failures, and not the NAS itself. But we can't figure that unless you take the steps needed to troubleshoot.  Which would begin by downloading the log zip file.

@JLJ wrote:

Since Netgear is shutting down ReadyCloud

FWIW, I stopped using ReadyCloud years ago because I found the performance to be uneven and the service itself to be too unreliable.  There are alternatives if you want to pursue them.

Also, if you do get a new NAS from another vendor, there have been several situations in the past where user NAS have been hacked through the vendor's cloud.  Personally I think you are better off using your own VPN, and not depending on a free vendor cloud service.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements