× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready Nas backing up for 3 weeks straight

captcrispy21
Aspirant

Ready Nas backing up for 3 weeks straight

I have had this ReadyNAS for two years now. This summer I added 2 more 3 TB Western Digital Red Drives into the system. I originally had 2 3TB Reds.

Since doing so my ReadyNAS is always backing up, which causes perfomance and speed issues at all times when I try to pull something from the drive or stream. I am only using 30% of the hard drive space and I have 2 drives mirroring the other two. It shouldn't take this long to back up essentially 3 TBs of stuff especially when I had 2 TBs before and it took about a week.

The point of this drive was to be able to access items easily for my laptops, since most newer laptops dont have much hard drive space and its nice to share between work stations. 

I honestly am dissapointed in Netgears lack of supprt (90 days really). Even signing up to create this post was a huge pain. Hopefully I can get some resolution to how to make my ReadyNAS usable as it should be instead of a permanent backup machine that I can't pull files from, or have to do so slowly. This will probably be my last netgear purchase based on this experience. I support my customers, and I expect companies to do the same instead of building a community forum and saying good luck.

This form is setup to fail - How would I know what label to post if you don't provide me with all the working options? 

Anyways, community, hopefully someone can help me speed up my REadyNAS and make it so its not stuck in backup mode forever. Thank you.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Please explain what you mean be "backing up".  Performing some kind of backup routine that you set up?  Re-syncing?

Message 2 of 5
captcrispy21
Aspirant

Last night I turned off the unit. Turned it back on and its making more noise than ever.

Basically if the unit is on the activity light is blinking and you can hear the grind of the hard drives as the unit is either backing up or scanning every file. It used to do this occasionally for a few days and then be done, as it was done backing up or making snapshots. 

The last session it was on for 24 days grinding with activity the entire time. This makes it very hard for me to access any files on the drive as its spending the majority of the resources doing its scan instead of retreiving file information requests. If I was to pull an image off of the NAS unit, it will take quite some time for the images to populate, and then for me to copy one to my computer. Yes, I realize this could be partially because of the amount of images, but it does take significantly longer when the drive is already in activity as it constantly is. 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@captcrispy21 wrote:

Basically if the unit is on the activity light is blinking and you can hear the grind of the hard drives as the unit is either backing up or scanning every file.

Do you mean that the RAID array is resyncing?  What you are seeing on the NAS volume page? You can attach a screenshot here if that's easier.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Please do provide the screen shot.  You may have a bad drive that falls out of the array but, for some reason, is not declared "dead" and the NAS trys to re-sync it again, and again, and...  That, or a scrub and/or balance has been scheduled at far too frequent an interval.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements