× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyDLNA not picking up new files (RN102)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

ReadyDLNA not picking up new files (RN102)

For some time now I experience the problem that ReadyDLNA does not pick up new media files (pictures, videos, music). I have to trigger a manual rescan to update the media offered via DLNA.

I was hoping for a firmware update to solve this, but this does not seem to happen.

As far as I know, the latest firmware for my NAS ships with the last minidlna release 1.2.1 (from 2017-08-24).

If I'm not mistaken, then some fixes have been made for minidlna since that release. This one sounds particularly promising:

https://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/git/ci/4ba6f1fa27cff07d1d0f481d6a9066cbbdf0cb68/
[4ba6f1] by Gleb Smirnoff Gleb Smirnoff , pushed by Justin Maggard Justin Maggard
Fix stupid logic typo, that prevented monitoring from working.
(2017-12-29 23:19:41)

Do you think a new release of minidlna could be made and included in future ReadyNAS firmware?

Best Regards,

Steffen

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
hvdave2000
Aspirant

I have the same problem with my RN312.    DLNA doesn't reliably refresh even though the "auto refresh" option is selected.   Firmware 6.10.1 (latest version)

Message 2 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi steffens,

I will have to check if a new release of minidlna is included in the future firmware release.

May I know what are the DLNA players that you are using with the ReadyNAS?

May I know also the exact firmware version of the NAS?

Regards,

Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi JohnCM_S > I will have to check if a new release of minidlna is included in the future firmware release. The problem is, that 1.2.1 already is the latest stable release of minidlna (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/files/minidlna/) This release contains the error, which was fixed shortly after the 1.2.1. release was made, but no new stable version was released since then. Therefore it can't be included in the ReadyNas firmware. I understood that minidlna is maintained by a NETGEAR employee (Justin Maggard), so packaging a new minidlna release and consuming it in the ReadyNas firmware should not be a big issue. > May what are the DLNA players that you are using with the ReadyNAS? The problem can be seen in any DLNA / UPNP client I tried. Mostly 8Player on IOS, VLC player on desktop coumputers and mobiles, a Philips NP2500, ... > May I know also the exact firmware version of the NAS? 6.10.1 Thanks for responding and having a look! Best Regards, Steffen
Message 4 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi steffens,

I am still waiting for feedback from the appropriate team regarding the minidlna.

We do have a new firmware, which is 6.10.2, you may try that firmware and see if you will still have the same issue. You may download it here.

Regards,

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I updated to 6.10.2, but the problem still persists. A new image I copied to the NAS yesterday is still not visible to DLNA clients.

Triggering a manual scan works, but it takes more than 5 hours to complete, so I would like to avoid a full rescan.

Message 6 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi steffens,

It is probably having an issue scanning the last file or the file after the last file found. Can you download the NAS system logs then provide it to us? You may send it by uploading it a file-sharing site then send to me the download link via PM (private message)

Regards,

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi JohnCM_S,

I just added a new image file to the NAS. After waiting some time and making sure it was not automatically added and visible to DLNA clients, I downloaded the system logs and sent them to you via PM.

However, I don't think that there's a problem with scanning files in general, because:

1. Triggering a manual full scan works. The new files become visible to DLNA clients

2. The problem rather seems to be with monitoring the file system for changes (new files available, files deleted, etc.) with inotify.

The source code fix that I found for the minidlna program that I found in SourceForge and linked to in my first post in this thread handles exactly this: monitoring was completely disabled by accident. A simple typo in a boolean expression (&& instead of ||) was made.

All it takes to fix this for ReadyNAS customers would be someone having a look at the fix and then either making a new minidlna release with the fix, or patching the minidlna source used for ReadyNAS firmware.

Best Regards,

Steffen

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do you have any news about this topic?

Best Regards,

Steffen

Message 9 of 10
hvdave2000
Aspirant

Hey Netgear!  Any plans to fix this problem??????

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements