× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 8TB Max

geoldr
Tutor

ReadyNAS 102 8TB Max

Hi guys

I have a question about the max size for my new NAS. I see on the tech spec that it is listed to support up to 8TB Max. I can only put in 2x4TB drives? I see there are 6TB drives on the market today and am wondering if I would have to get a different NAS model to support this, or will there be a firmware update to increase the max storage capacity.

What would happen if I were to put in 2x6TB drives?
Message 1 of 13
RX
Luminary
Luminary

RN102 does not yet support 6TB drive. Kindly check it on http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641.

The following Intel-based OS 6 ReadyNAS supports 6 TB drives :

RN312
RN314
RN316
RN516
RN716
Message 2 of 13
geoldr
Tutor

I am hopeful that a firmware update will be released to support the new 6TB drive sizes in the near future.
Message 3 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

I think what Ixa is saying is that 6 tb drives are not currently on the HCL for the 100 series.
You could use them, but you would lose your support. Not a good idea.
Message 4 of 13
geoldr
Tutor

Yes I understand that.

When I looked at the link Ixa posted, some drives were listed as "Must use with Firmware x.x or later".

So I am hopeful that Netgear will release a firmware update in the future to add support for WD RED NAS 6TB drive.
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The notes on the three hitachi drives are actually mistakes- carryovers from the pro/ultra lists.

AFAIK the 6 TB drives work on the RN100 series now, as long as you stay below the 16 TiB total volume size. If so, Netgear doesn't need a firmware release to support them.

In the case of the RN102, its impossible to exceed the 16 TiB volume size anyway. But as lxa/vandermere are saying, you will lose support if you use them. Seems a bit silly to me.
Message 6 of 13
geoldr
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
The notes on the three hitachi drives are actually mistakes- carryovers from the pro/ultra lists.

AFAIK the 6 TB drives work on the RN100 series now, as long as you stay below the 16 TiB total volume size. If so, Netgear doesn't need a firmware release to support them.

In the case of the RN102, its impossible to exceed the 16 TiB volume size anyway. But as lxa/vandermere are saying, you will lose support if you use them. Seems a bit silly to me.

That's what I was wondering, if I put them in will they work? Sounds like yes. I won't be doing this just yet as I'm good with 8TB of storage for all my backups, but it's nice to know that they should work.

You guys are very fast to respond! Thank you!
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Well, do keep in mind the implications of no support. When you do get to the point where you need the space, research it here before you purchase the drives.

I haven't tried them myself, but my understanding is that they will work as long as the total volume size is 16 TiB or less.
Message 8 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

I would also figure out the financial cost of upgrading to 6 tb drives versus selling the 102 and getting a 104 and sticking with the 4 tb drives you have, adding as you need more space.
A 104 is much cheaper than a 6 tb drive.
In fact, for just a little bit more than the cost of two 6 tb drives, you could get a 314 and another 4tb drive. Sell your 102 and you'll probably be no worse off.

I know it's a backup nas, but are you running 2 separate volumes or a single raid0 volume?
Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
I would also figure out the financial cost of upgrading to 6 tb drives versus selling the 102 and getting a 104 and sticking with the 4 tb drives you have, adding as you need more space.
Here in the uk, a 104 is much cheaper than a 6 tb drive.
Costing out your options is always a good idea. Replacing working drives with new larger ones sometimes isn't the cheapest path.

Though he doesn't need the space now, so I think this all a "what if" for the future. Prices will undoubtedly change.
Message 10 of 13
geoldr
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
vandermerwe wrote:
Here in the uk, a 104 is much cheaper than a 6 tb drive.
Costing out your options is always a good idea. Replacing working drives with new larger ones sometimes isn't the cheapest path.

Though he doesn't need the space now, so I think this all a "what if" for the future. Prices will undoubtedly change.

Exactly. This is more of a "what if" for me. But I definitely did look into that option.

Having said that, I got the 102 on a sale for $60 (with a $20 mail in rebate), so that saves me a lot from going retail pricing.
Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Well, when the time comes you could potentially buy another RN102 and two more 4 TB disks - and split your storage across two devices.

So there are lots of options.
Message 12 of 13
geoldr
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
Well, when the time comes you could potentially buy another RN102 and two more 4 TB disks - and split your storage across two devices.

So there are lots of options.

You know what, after playing around with the Netgear 102 device, I learned of all the power it has. I did not know it could do half the stuff that it does, so I decided I needed a bigger device. Today I returned the 102, for a 104. With the 4 bay box I should have much more capacity to accomplish the tasks that I would like to do.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements