× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 - Blinking power light after firmware upgrade

burtonrhodes
Tutor

ReadyNAS 102 - Blinking power light after firmware upgrade

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware for my device and after rebooting the Power & Backup lights are rapidly blinking (blue),  I have unplugged the device to try and reboot and also used the system reset button on the back (with a paperclip) without success.  I have tried botting up without the disks - the lights still blink the same.  I am wondering if the firmware update bricked the machine or if there is something else I can try?  Many thanks for your help.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Blinking power light after firmware upgrade

@burtonrhodes wrote:

Curious... can I just put my 2 drives in the new unit?  Or is there a procedure for upgrading a NAS unit - in this case: RN102 -> RN422

You can, but it is best to put a scratch drive in the RN422 first, and update it to the current firmware.

If the firmware in the RN422's flash is older than what you were running in the RN102, then the boot loader will be forced to downgrade to the version in the flash.  That's because it needs to switch from arm->x86 as part of the migration.  That downgrade might not be supported (so there is risk that something will go wrong).  Upgrading the new NAS to the current firmware first prevents a downgrade from happening.

After that, just shut down, remove the scratch disk, and migrate your RN102 drives to the RN422.  Keep the two drives in the same bays.

If you have arm-based apps on the RN102 (for instance plex), you will need to remove them after the migration.  Then install the x86 versions.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@burtonrhodes

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the Status of the NAS on RAIDar? ReadyNAS 100 series should follow an upgrade path when updating, were you on the latest firmware before you updated to the 6.10.1?

If in any case the NAS fails to boot, you may want to try doing USB Boot recovery. This does not affect the data on the disk but hopefully you have back up of your data, this reload current firmware onto your ReadyNAS storage system.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 7
burtonrhodes
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply!  RAIDar "could not find any NETGEAR storage on my network".  I was upgrading to the latest firmware and had the previous one installed (6.10.0??).  I am fairly diligent about upgrading my firmware... perhaps too much so  😮

I will give the USB method a try and report back!

Message 3 of 7
burtonrhodes
Tutor

Well, the USB method doesn't seem to be working.  I ordered a NETGEAR ReadyNAS 422 yesterday (as a precaution) that should arrive tomorrow.  My 2 harddrives currently have data I very much need to keep.  Curious... can I just put my 2 drives in the new unit?  Or is there a procedure for upgrading a NAS unit - in this case: RN102 -> RN422

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@burtonrhodes wrote:

Curious... can I just put my 2 drives in the new unit?  Or is there a procedure for upgrading a NAS unit - in this case: RN102 -> RN422

You can, but it is best to put a scratch drive in the RN422 first, and update it to the current firmware.

If the firmware in the RN422's flash is older than what you were running in the RN102, then the boot loader will be forced to downgrade to the version in the flash.  That's because it needs to switch from arm->x86 as part of the migration.  That downgrade might not be supported (so there is risk that something will go wrong).  Upgrading the new NAS to the current firmware first prevents a downgrade from happening.

After that, just shut down, remove the scratch disk, and migrate your RN102 drives to the RN422.  Keep the two drives in the same bays.

If you have arm-based apps on the RN102 (for instance plex), you will need to remove them after the migration.  Then install the x86 versions.

Message 5 of 7
burtonrhodes
Tutor

That makes sense… I will try that out.
Message 6 of 7
burtonrhodes
Tutor

Followed your advices with a scratch drive and worked well.  Upgraded the firmware.  Powered down.  Then put only one volume in (for safety).  Booted back up - NAS said it was upgrading Firmware.  After it finished, everything seemed to be in order.  Powered down and put the other drive in.  Now drives are syncing up (degraded) - but should be complete in several hours.  Thanks again for the help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements