× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 With WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX Problems

scpcomp
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 With WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX Problems

Hi,

I have just purchased 2 X 4TB WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX hard drives to replace the existing 1TB disks and am having issues with the drives.

I have replaced drive 2 with one of the new drives and when the system powers up the power light blinks two short and one long. Within the admin screen I can see that the disk model, serial number. Volume State: NEW, Disk State: UNKNOWN.

I have tried the format option from the Volumes screen after selecting the disk, entered FORMAT in the confirmation box, but nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
scpcomp
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 102 With WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX Problems

I have now received the replacement WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX from the supplier, and am happy to report they installed with out an issue.

Step 1: Powered down the NAS and inserted one of the new drives into bay 2 (the original 1TB drive being kept in bay 1)

Step 2: Powered up the NAS and once booted could see that the X-RAID was rebuilding. The resync completed in 4 hours.

Step 3: Powered down the NAS and inserted the othe new drive into bay 1

Step 4: Powered up the NAS and once booted could see that the X-RAID was rebuilding. The resync completed in 3 hours, and the increases capacity was recognized.

The NAS is currently in the process of syncing volume data, but evrything looks good and there has been no loss of data.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Is the system in XRAID mode or FlexRAID mode?

If you aren't sure, look on the volume page of the web ui. If the XRAID control has a green stripe, then you are in XRAID mode.

Message 2 of 4
scpcomp
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The system is using XRAID.

After posting the message on the forum I tried starting the NAS with just one of the new disks in and performing a Factory Reset, but it never completed. Netgear Raidar reported the NAS as having a corrupt image.

I then placed just one of the original drives back into the NAS and perfomed a normal start, the system came back up without any issues (otehr than being degraded).

I checked the new WD Red Pro drives with WD Data Lifeguard and it reported 'Too many bad sectors' on both drives. I have now arranged for the drives to be replaced by the supplier.

I'll update this post when the new drives arrive and I have installed them in the NAS.

All the best.

Message 3 of 4
scpcomp
Aspirant

I have now received the replacement WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX from the supplier, and am happy to report they installed with out an issue.

Step 1: Powered down the NAS and inserted one of the new drives into bay 2 (the original 1TB drive being kept in bay 1)

Step 2: Powered up the NAS and once booted could see that the X-RAID was rebuilding. The resync completed in 4 hours.

Step 3: Powered down the NAS and inserted the othe new drive into bay 1

Step 4: Powered up the NAS and once booted could see that the X-RAID was rebuilding. The resync completed in 3 hours, and the increases capacity was recognized.

The NAS is currently in the process of syncing volume data, but evrything looks good and there has been no loss of data.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements