× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 - backup of network computer

cmarino3
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - backup of network computer

Hello, I own a ReadyNAS 102 and have always used it as a "direct storage" unit (just by sharing folders on the network and accessing them from computers on the network). Never used it for cloud backup or automatic backups.

However, today I wanted to set up the "backup button", which requires to set a new backup first.

I really don't understand how to do that.

I need to automatically backup a specific folder (eg: "Photos") on a network computer (eg: \\SERVER) but I don't understand how to do it. 

This is the screenshot of the backup page:

- Do I have to set "Remote" rather than "Local" since the folder is on another computer on the network, and not on the NAS?

- how do i specify that I want to access \\SERVER computer? (eg: \\192.168.1.99)

- how do I specify I want to backup the \\SERVER\Photos   folder?

- how do I deal with username and password? 

backup.jpg

Thanks

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - backup of network computer

@cmarino3 wrote:

I need to automatically backup a specific folder (eg: "Photos") on a network computer (eg: \\SERVER) but I don't understand how to do it. 

FWIW, I suggest that you run backup software on the PC that backs up the the NAS instead.  FreeFileSync is one of several programs you can use.

But if you want to use a NAS backup job, then the first step is that you need to share the Photos folder on the Windows PC.  There is some information on how to do that here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-10-b58704b2-f53a-...

You'll want to require a username/password to access that share over the network (whether from the NAS or another PC).  If you are using a microsoft (email-style) login, you should create a local account on the PC, and use it's username/password.  

If you are already using a local account on the PC, then you can use your account name and password.

@cmarino3 wrote:

- Do I have to set "Remote" rather than "Local" since the folder is on another computer on the network, and not on the NAS?

Yes.

@cmarino3 wrote:

- how do i specify that I want to access \\SERVER computer? (eg: \\192.168.1.99)

- how do I specify I want to backup the \\SERVER\Photos   folder?

Enter \\192.168.1.99 in the host field

Enter Photos in the share field.

@cmarino3 wrote:

- how do I deal with username and password? 

Enter the username and password that you need to use to get access to the PC share.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements