× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102 not showing on my network and the disks leds are not on

karimtls
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 not showing on my network and the disks leds are not on

i have four ReadyNAS 102 on my network.

Two of them suddenly disappeared from the network completely

when I look at the devices i can see the Act LED on But the Disks 1 and 2 LEDS are off.

I cant access the admin pages.

I cant find them using readyCloud or RAIDar.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 102 not showing on my network and the disks leds are not on

Corrupted flash, which might be cured by a USB recovery, is still a possibility.  But that it happened on two units doesn't point me to that straight off.  Do you know if both actually went off-air at the same time, or were they just noticed within a small timeframe?

Did anything odd, like a power surge or local lightning strike, occur in the facility?  Are the NAS protected by UPS?  Do any share the same UPS?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Step one is usually to remove the drives with power off and re-boot without them.  Label the drives so you know which slot they go it.

If RAIDar then finds the NAS with a "No Disks" status, then the hardware is fine and the issue is with the drives, probably something in the OS partition, but possibly actual bad drives..  Assuming RAID1, you can also try booting with just one drive at a time.

Message 2 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

I tried that but it still noy showing anything

Message 3 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

I am even trying to use the bootmenu to perform an os reinstall or a factory reset.

I can access the bootmenu fine.

but when i make a selection the power button blinks for like 10 seconds and then nothing happens after that.

Thank you for trying to help @Sandshark.

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Just to clarify - did you see the NAS on the network when you removed the drives and powered it up?  RAIDar is one way to check:  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Also, did you check the ethernet LED on the NAS and on the router?

@karimtls wrote:

I am even trying to use the bootmenu to perform an os reinstall or a factory reset.

I can access the bootmenu fine.

but when i make a selection the power button blinks for like 10 seconds and then nothing happens after that.

Thank you for trying to help @Sandshark.

Note you can't do either option without the disks installed.

There are two possibilities here:

• One or both disks have failed.
  • The NAS chassis is broken (disk controller, the network interface, etc).

The NAS hardware isn't repairable.   The warranty is 3 years for the original purchaser, so you should check the warranty status.

In some cases, the NAS can be brought back to life with a USB recovery.  Sometimes replacing the power brick resolves it (requiring a risk-buy of a replacement adapter).  But it'd be helpful to get some more information before trying either of those.

If you have a Windows PC you can connect the disks to it, and test them with vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital).  You can connect them either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  If you have a spare disk, you could try doing a factory reset with that disk installed.  Of course anything on it will be lost.

Message 5 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

It didn’t show up even when I removed the disks.

And yes I checked the Ethernet cable on both my NAS and the router they are both on
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@karimtls wrote:

And yes I checked the Ethernet cable on both my NAS and the router they are both on

And was the ethernet LED lit on the NAS?  

If the NIC is broken, then of course you will not have access.

Message 7 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

Yes the Ethernet LED was lit on both the NAS and the router
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@karimtls wrote:
Yes the Ethernet LED was lit on both the NAS and the router

Ok.   

If RAIDar couldn't find the NAS with no disks installed, then that's a bad sign. 

But normally you won't be able to navigate the boot menu when the chassis fails either.  If you have internet security software running on the PC, then disable that software and try using RAIDar again (with the disks removed).  

Maybe also try that test after rebooting the router and the PC.

Message 9 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Corrupted flash, which might be cured by a USB recovery, is still a possibility.  But that it happened on two units doesn't point me to that straight off.  Do you know if both actually went off-air at the same time, or were they just noticed within a small timeframe?

Did anything odd, like a power surge or local lightning strike, occur in the facility?  Are the NAS protected by UPS?  Do any share the same UPS?

Message 10 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

Nothing odd occured in or near the facility.

there might be a gap of time between the two devices crashing.

Message 11 of 12
karimtls
Aspirant

Thank you @Sandshark I tried the Usb Recovery and it finally worked.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements