× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 102

SteveW01
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102

I need some help please.

I have just purchased a used Netgear Ready NAS 102 and I'm having trouble getting it setup. I've followed the instructions yet ready cloud still doesnt discover it. I have run RAIDar and that has picked it up yet ready cloud still cant find it.

I have left it on and connected to the router overnight yet the power light is still slowly blinking. Again I have tried the setup proceedure and still no joy.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 102

@SteveW01 wrote:

However as I purchased the unit from a company called CEX (Computer Exchange) it is a used item. I've tried to register the unit and it's telling me that its registered to another user.

When I run RAIDar all I get is a screen telling me the details of the unit, nothing else.

Note quite nothing - it is showing you a TFTP_REQ status.  That means that something isn't right with the internal flash memory.  

You could try doing a USB recovery.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Note you need to follow the instructions for the ARM-based system at the bottom.  Generally older thumb drives work better than newer ones (and you might need to try more than one).

If that fails, then I suggest returning the unit to the seller.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you intend to use ReadyCloud for remote access?  Although Netgear pushes the use of ReadyCloud for set-up, it is not, IMHO, the best way to do it.  Using the local admin GUI is best (press Admin Page in RAIDar).  If you do need remote qccess, troubleshooting the ReadfyCloud problem should be easier with the NAS initilized.

Message 2 of 13
SteveW01
Aspirant

Hi, yes I do intend using the Ready NAS remotely. However as I purchased the unit from a company called CEX (Computer Exchange) it is a used item. I've tried to register the unit and it's telling me that its registered to another user.

When I run RAIDar all I get is a screen telling me the details of the unit, noting else.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@SteveW01 wrote:

However as I purchased the unit from a company called CEX (Computer Exchange) it is a used item. I've tried to register the unit and it's telling me that its registered to another user.

When I run RAIDar all I get is a screen telling me the details of the unit, nothing else.

Note quite nothing - it is showing you a TFTP_REQ status.  That means that something isn't right with the internal flash memory.  

You could try doing a USB recovery.  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Note you need to follow the instructions for the ARM-based system at the bottom.  Generally older thumb drives work better than newer ones (and you might need to try more than one).

If that fails, then I suggest returning the unit to the seller.

Message 4 of 13
SteveW01
Aspirant

Little confused here.  fr the RN102 do I insert the USB then hold the Backup button for 15 secs at power on and then hold the reset button for the same time as my USB flash drive does not have an indicator?

I have indicated my model in red below.

Thanks

Steve

To boot your desktop model ReadyNAS from USB:

For rack-mount models, see To boot your rack-mount model ReadyNAS from USB.

1. Power down your ReadyNAS storage system.
  2. Insert the prepared USB drive into the front USB port.
  3. Press and hold the Backup button, then power on the ReadyNAS system and continue to hold the Backup button for up to 15 seconds, depending on your ReadyNAS model.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN316, RN516, or RN716X:
      1. After powering on the ReadyNAS system, wait for the backlight around the touchpad to turn off.
      2. Instead of the Backup button, press and hold the OK button for up to 30 seconds, until the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is attempting to boot from the USB drive.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN420, RN520, or RN620 series:
      1. After powering on the ReadyNAS system, wait for the backlight on the navigational buttons to turn off.
      2. Instead of the Backup button, press and hold the OK button (the center of the navigational buttons) for up to 30 seconds, until the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is attempting to boot from the USB drive.
    • If your ReadyNAS system has an LCD, the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is in USB Recovery mode.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is a 2-bay model, you might not know when the unit is entering USB Recovery mode unless your USB drive has an activity indicator. If your USB drive does not have an activity indicator, hold the Reset button for a full 30 seconds to ensure that your ReadyNAS system is in USB Recovery mode.
  4. Wait for the ReadyNAS system to finish with the recovery and power down.
  5. After the system powers down, remove the USB drive and try booting normally.
Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@SteveW01 wrote:

Little confused here.  fr the RN102 do I insert the USB then hold the Backup button for 15 secs at power on and then hold the reset button for the same time as my USB flash drive does not have an indicator?

I think you just hold down the backup button (and am not sure what the holding reset button is about).

There is some info here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN104-Stuck-quot-Booting-quot-after...

The following suggests that the process should take 2-3 minutes.

Message 6 of 13
mdgm
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

I think you just hold down the backup button (and am not sure what the holding reset button is about).

Seems to be an error in the instructions that occurred due to copying and pasting.

With the RN2120 (4-bay rackmount) you use the reset button to boot off USB as it doesn't have a backup button.

With the RN102 you need to press and hold the backup button until it boots off USB. It doesn't matter if you press it longer than needed but it does matter if you don't press it long enough.

Message 7 of 13
SteveW01
Aspirant

OK - I've now purchased a brand new RN212. The unnit is up and running, however since doing the update i'm now unable to access the admin page and I'm getting the attahced message.

Any Help would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@SteveW01 wrote:

OK - I've now purchased a brand new RN212. The unit is up and running, however since doing the update i'm now unable to access the admin page and I'm getting the attached message.

Did you migrate the disks or did you start with a factory default?

Are you seeing signs of disk activity?

Message 9 of 13
SteveW01
Aspirant

I installed then then done a factory reset to wipe the disc's.

I have activity on the NAS and I've managed to migrate my data. The ready NAS can be seen on the network by all devices and the TV streams my video and likewise with SONOS & my music. I just cant access the admin page to change any settings.

Thanks

Steve

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@SteveW01 wrote:

The ready NAS can be seen on the network by all devices and the TV streams my video and likewise with SONOS & my music. I just cant access the admin page to change any settings.

Are you using https://nas-ip-address/admin in the browser?

Does RAIDar indicate that the array is still syncing?

You could use your courtesy phone support to resolve this (via my.netgear.com)

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Since the NAS has a self-signed SSL certificate, too-harsh security settings and/or a virus or malware protector can block it.

Message 12 of 13
SteveW01
Aspirant

I'm going to open a new thread over the coming days as I've returned the NG 102 and brought a brand new RN212. Thank You everyone for your help.

Steve

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements