× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - Max DIsk Capacity

Shri-Ganesh
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 - Max DIsk Capacity

Hi,

I am currently runnin latest version of ReadyNAS OS (v6.9.0) on ReadyNAS 104 and it's running on X-Raid with 4x4 TB HDDs. I want to know what is the maximum capacity supported by ReadyNAS 104. Right now I have 12 TB(10.9 TB usable)

Is it possible to upgrade to 4x8 TB HDDs? Will I get 24 TB or will I run into issues?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

There is no known size limit.  Though resync times will double if you double the disk size.  You might also start running into out-of-memory issues.

For a while I had 14 TB of volume space on my RN102 (two volumes, 6 TB and 8 TB jbod).  That worked out ok, but of course there was no RAID to manage.

Another option is to get an RN214, and perhaps 2x8TB to start.  You can use both NAS, and over time add space to the RN214.  

@Shri-Ganesh wrote:

Will I get 24 TB or will I run into issues?

Yes you should.

Message 2 of 6
Shri-Ganesh
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply! 

What will these out-of-memory issues affect? Like how will it manifest? Will it block me from rebuilding my volumes or will it lead to the webserer restarts (like UI not responding etc).

Apart from this, are you saying that I can use 4x8 TB without issues?

Also the ReadyNAS 214 doesn't seem much different (ARM based CPU) except increased RAM.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Shri-Ganesh wrote:

Also the ReadyNAS 214 doesn't seem much different (ARM based CPU) except increased RAM.

4x the RAM (2 GB instead of 512 MB), faster processor (quadcore). It's the new entry-level NAS (the RN104 is no longer manufactured).

@Shri-Ganesh wrote:

What will these out-of-memory issues affect? Like how will it manifest? Will it block me from rebuilding my volumes or will it lead to the webserer restarts (like UI not responding etc).

If they hit you, then generally the NAS will freeze with an error message on the LCD.

Message 4 of 6
Shri-Ganesh
Tutor

Thanks for the inputs. So is it safe to say that instead of using 4x8TB on my current NAS, I should upgrade my NAS too for flawless functioning?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Shri-Ganesh wrote:

Thanks for the inputs. So is it safe to say that instead of using 4x8TB on my current NAS, I should upgrade my NAS too for flawless functioning?

That's what I would do.  

Later on you could then re-purpose the RN104 as a backup.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements