× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - Update from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 problems.

ReadyNAS 104 - Update from 6.9.5 to 6.10.0 problems.

Hi.

In my RNS 104 I had installed the firmware 6.9.5 patch 1 release and I downloaded and installed version 6.10.0. But at the time of the reboot after the upgrade the boot reaches 99% and then it doesn't go on and it doesn't finish. The display shows "Booting .... 99%" and the LED of the power button continues to flash.

What can it have happened and how can I solve it? Thank you.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|, RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Did you try powering down the NAS and restarting it?

Message 2 of 12

Sure. Twice, but the result is always the same. The boot stops at 99% and the power button LED continues to flash. As it happens for that of the activity. The discs make the classic noise of being active. It looks like the system is doing a rebuild.

Message 3 of 12

I tried to press the power button and the message apache2.service is appeared on the display

Message 4 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Can you download the log zip file via RAIDar?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

If you can, the PM one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S for example), or maybe @Hopchen (former Netgear employee), and ask if they will analyze.  You can send a link (google drive, dropbox, etc).

Don't post the link publicly, just use the PM (private message) facility of the forum.  Click on the envelope icon in the upper left of the forum page.

Message 5 of 12
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @sergio_fucchi 

Thanks for sending over the logs.

Your NAS actually did update to 6.10 - at least partially. As we can see in the logs, the firmware seems to have been loaded correctly.

ReadyNASOS!!version=6.10.0,time=1553233753,arch=arm,descr=ReadyNASOS

[2019/04/21 17:10:01 UTC] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.9.5 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.10.0 (ReadyNASOS).

However, I can understand that the NAS behaves strangely afterwards - not completing boot, etc. I suspect that this is down to the OS being full. You need to address this asap. @StephenB has written a good guide in another thread on how to deal with this. He can probably link that to you? 🙂

[19/04/21 08:00:27 CEST] crit:volume:LOGMSG_SYSTEM_USAGE_WARN System volume root's usage is 94%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

Your OS raid also looks a bit strange now. It looks like it tried to expand for some reason... This does not harm functionality as it is a raid1 but you could reach out to Netgear to get this sorted. I just requires a shrink of the md0 raid volume. Not a big deal.

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[9] sdc1[2] sdb1[8]
      4190208 blocks super 1.2 [8/4] [UUUU____] <<<=== md0 expects 8 disks in a 4 bay chassis... 🙂

You data raid, disk health and data volume are fine otherwise. Lastly, you need to look at your network setup. I suspect that this might also play some role in the issue that you have. You NICs keep flapping because of the LAG setup.

[Mon Apr 22 09:40:20 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)
Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are connected to 802.3ad compliant switch ports
[Mon Apr 22 09:40:20 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth1)
Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are connected to 802.3ad compliant switch ports
[Mon Apr 22 09:40:21 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)

It seems like you have incorrect LAG setup on the switch side. What switch model are you using? What LAG type are you using on the NAS (LACP I asusme)?

Cheers

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Hopchen wrote:

However, I can understand that the NAS behaves strangely afterwards - not completing boot, etc. I suspect that this is down to the OS being full. You need to address this asap. @StephenB has written a good guide in another thread on how to deal with this. He can probably link that to you? 🙂

The most recent one was targeted at the run-away antivirus issue that was affecting RN100 series.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

I suspect you can't get into the ReadyNAS with normal ssh though (since it isn't fully booting).  If that's the case (and you want to fix this yourself) then let us know.

Though since something else is odd with the OS partition, you might want to use paid netgear support for this (via my.netgear.com).

@Hopchen wrote:

Lastly, you need to look at your network setup. I suspect that this might also play some role in the issue that you have. You NICs keep flapping because of the LAG setup.

[Mon Apr 22 09:40:20 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)
[Mon Apr 22 09:40:20 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth1)
[Mon Apr 22 09:40:21 2019] bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)

It seems like you have incorrect LAG setup on the switch side. What switch model are you using? What LAG type are you using on the NAS (LACP I asusme)?

For now you can just disconnect one of the ethernet cables.  Generally speaking, there's not much point to running link aggregation/bonding with an RN104 - it's not fast enough to keep up with a single gigabit connection.

Message 7 of 12
Equinox1
Guide

I had exactly the same symptoms tonight, after updating from UI.

There must a glitch in the upgrade process.

The easiest way to get out of the situation was to reinstall the firmware by SSH.

Model: RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 8 of 12
quickly_now
Apprentice

And how do you do thius re-install via SSH please?

I have the same issue - wasted about 3 hours so far on this.

Model: RN31342E|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-BAY 4X2TB Enterprise
Message 9 of 12
Equinox1
Guide

There’s a post on it somewhere, can find it later if needed.
But essencially:
- wget the update file
- unzip it
- rename the .img file to <update file naming standard I cant remember now>
- pray to the digital gods
- reboot
Message 10 of 12

Problems solved with a factory reset. All data had previously been saved to other disks.

But now I have another problem....... 

Until the previous firmware versions in case of power loss due to power failure, NAS restarted without any problems by going online after a few minutes. Now, with 6.10.0, instead, in this case, after booting, the system performs a new resynchronization of the data! So about four days of work for a simple jump of the electric current!

Why all this ??

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Duplicate post, so I am locking this thread.  Please direct any replies here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-OS-6-10-0-Hotfix-2-problem...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements