× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 problems

Spanfan
Tutor

ReadyNAS 104 problems

I have two problems. I'm running the latest firmware and don't see the option for Antivirus that used to be there. Has it been removed ir if not how do I turn it on?

Secondly, for some reason when i access the NAS from my PC the screen is the normal size but everything on it  is very small and barely readable see attached. How do I return it to normal size?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 problems

@Spanfan wrote:

I have two problems. I'm running the latest firmware and don't see the option for Antivirus that used to be there. Has it been removed or if not how do I turn it on?

It was removed a while ago.  The RN104 no longer has enough memory to run it.

@Spanfan wrote:

Secondly, for some reason when i access the NAS from my PC the screen is the normal size but everything on it  is very small and barely readable see attached. How do I return it to normal size?

Looks like a browser issue to me.  Check the zoom setting when you are browsing the admin page.  Note that entering ctrl+ will increase the zoom level in most browsers (and cntl- will decrease it).  

Message 2 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

Thanks, it was the browser. That's sorted. Shae about teh antivirus, that's why I've some of my NAS files have been infected with kupidon ransomware even though the PC is clear.

Is there any antivirus that will protect the NAS as Malwarebytes doesn't?

Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

@Spanfan wrote:

Shae about teh antivirus, that's why I've some of my NAS files have been infected with kupidon ransomware even though the PC is clear.

Is there any antivirus that will protect the NAS as Malwarebytes doesn't?

I am unaware of any virus that can actually infect the NAS.  So some PC with access to the files must be infecting them.  Malware Bytes should be taking care of that.

Some PC virus checkers can be configured to check a mounted share, but that can be very slow.  In fact, on some, you have to expressly tell it not to if that's your desire.

Message 4 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

I don't understand what has happened then. Nothing on the PC connected to the  NAS is infected but video, photo and document files on the NAS are. Fortunately most of them are backups from the PC so I can just delete and do a fresh backup. It's just worrying that I don't; know how it happened.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Spanfan wrote:

I don't understand what has happened then. Nothing on the PC connected to the  NAS is infected but video, photo and document files on the NAS are. Fortunately most of them are backups from the PC so I can just delete and do a fresh backup. It's just worrying that I don't; know how it happened.

Have you allowed others to access the NAS remotely?  Either through port forwarding or by inviting them via Readycloud?

Message 6 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

No, It's only accesible via my PC and my wifi network. Strange also that a lot of stuff is Ok wheras others are infected.

I'm finding I can't delete infected files and existing folders or create any new folders on the NAS so am wondering if I should reformat the whole thing and start again but don't know how to go about that.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Spanfan wrote:

so am wondering if I should reformat the whole thing and start again but don't know how to go about that.

There is a "Perform Factory Default" control on the system->settings page of the web ui (in the update section).

That will do a complete reinstall of the NAS, and set up the RAID array again.  You'll need to reconfigure the NAS (including user accounts and shares).  Note it will reset the NAS admin password back to the default password.

default.png

It would be good to try and track down what happened.  It's possible that the PC infected the files in the past - and that you (or the PC malware software) cleaned the PC but not the NAS files.  

But it's also possible that the PC is still infected, or that somehow your router has been compromised - allowing the NAS to be hacked.

If you can't figure out the cause, then keep a close eye on the files in the shares, so you'll know right away if the problem comes back.

Message 8 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

I've run Malwarebytes and Defender over all the PC drives, memory and registry and it's clean so if it came from there it's been removed and not there now though it seems unlikely it was ever on there as there were no files on the pc infected. The NAS is not a lot of use to me if I can't delete stuff and create new folders so I might as well bite the bullet and start again after I've copied as many of the uninfected files off as I have storage for.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Spanfan wrote:

The NAS is not a lot of use to me if I can't delete stuff and create new folders

What happens when you try to delete the files and create new folders?  

How are you doing the deletions/creations?  Are you doing it from the web ui, from file manager, or some other way?

Can you post a screen shot of the error?

Message 10 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

It appears as if I can delete infected files via the PC on folders I have as shared network folders however although the files delete, if I go back to the folder they are back there again!

Trying to delete files or folders via the web ui, It looks as if it's deleting, I get the confirm delete box then a progress bar with "Removing 1 item etc" at the top but the file or folder doesn't delete though no error message appears

I only get error messages trying to delete the top level folders. After typing DESTROY and confirming the progress bar appears quickly followed by Error 1 attached

If I try and create a top level folder, agian it seems to proceed but fails with Error 2 attached

Trying to create a sub folder, the progress bar take quite a while to go across but then fails with error 3 attached

Message 11 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

Error 2

Message 12 of 13
Spanfan
Tutor

Error 3

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors