× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 2100 Caddy

MarkRowe
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2100 Caddy

Can I purchase two spare Hard Drive Caddies for my ReadyNAS 2100 ?

Also, can I purchase the two 19" Rack Mounting Brackets (sometimes refered to "ears"), as I cannot find the ones supplied with my unit?  Many thanks in advance.

Model: RNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
MarkRowe
Aspirant

, thank you for a very detailed reply.  I have compared both the Chenbro and Netgear 1100 caddies and decided that if I am going to take a chance I will obtain the 1100 ones (only becase the Chenbro ones don't have the screws holes in the base of the caddy), like the Netgear ones.  I also have a ReadyNAS 3138 on my Network, and I have tried those caddies in my ReadyNAS 2100 but they are too wide so will not fit.

As for the Rack Ears, I am yet to find suitable replacements here in the UK so may have to fabricate a pair myself out of aluminum angle.

Many thanks again for your reply, it was extremely helpful.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, the caddies for the desktop models are not interchangeable with those for the rack-mount, so finding spares for the rack-mount systems is even more difficult than for the desktop.  The chassis looks to have been manufactured by Chenbro (as are the newer rack-mount systems), but unlike the newer models, the legacy units seem to be expressly designed for Netgear.  The ReadyNAS caddies are pretty much a mirror image of the Chenbro RM21400-04 caddy.  The "ears" may be a bit easier to find, though many Chenbro chasses have them permanetly attached.

I believe the older push-button caddies for the 1000 and 1100 will work.  The 1500 is more contemporary with the 2100 and has the square "buttons", so those are more likely to work.  But other than by buying a complete unit, you are going to have difficulty finding caddies for them.

NewEgg has a listing for an RTRAY-10000S, which is listed as for the 3220 and 4220, but the pictured individual caddy is definately not for those models. The NAS models pictued are the 3220 or 4220.  You could take a chance on it.

The legacy 2U units were made by Supermicro and the current 2U use a different style Chenbro caddy, so don't even look at those.

Frankly, though, I wonder why you would need spare caddies.  It's not that difficult to mount a replacement drive into one and the need to do so doesn't arise often.  If you have some kind of plan to be constantly rotating drives, you should re-think that.  The units weren't designed for it.

Message 2 of 4
MarkRowe
Aspirant

, thank you for a very detailed reply.  I have compared both the Chenbro and Netgear 1100 caddies and decided that if I am going to take a chance I will obtain the 1100 ones (only becase the Chenbro ones don't have the screws holes in the base of the caddy), like the Netgear ones.  I also have a ReadyNAS 3138 on my Network, and I have tried those caddies in my ReadyNAS 2100 but they are too wide so will not fit.

As for the Rack Ears, I am yet to find suitable replacements here in the UK so may have to fabricate a pair myself out of aluminum angle.

Many thanks again for your reply, it was extremely helpful.

Message 3 of 4
MarkRowe
Aspirant

Just to confirm the Netgear 1100 caddies will fit nicely into a ReadyNAS 2100.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements