× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 214 - replacing disks with larger disks

Les214
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214 - replacing disks with larger disks

I have been running this NAS with 4 - 2TB drives and it was up the 75% full.  So I bought 4 new Seagate Ironwolf 4 TB drives.  I replace the first drive and it took about 16 hours to resync.  I replaced the second drive and at 4:49 pm this afternoon I got 4 emails from the NAS as follows:

1   Volumn data is resynced.

2   Volumn data health changed from degraded to Redundent.

3   Disk in channel 2 (internal) changed state from RESYNC  to ONLINE.

4   Resyncing started for volumn data.

The first 3 emails would suggest the resync on drive 2 had completed.  I did not understand the last email and thought the resync was done.  So I pulled drive 3 to replace it when I noticed the the resync had 13 hours to go.  So I quickly put the old 2TB drive back in the NAS.  But the screen still said the volumn was degraded.  I tried to turn off the NAS with 3 presses of the power button.  The NAS screen now says Powering Off Goodbye.  It has been over an hour and the NAS still appears to be tryng to shut down.  I am guessing that it is still resyncing.

Why would the volumn start resyncing a second time?  Will the NAS finally shutdown after the resync finishes?  I will check it tomorrow morning.

Also, RAIDar lost contact with the NAS shortly after removing drive 3 and will not reconnect.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Les214 wrote:

With their lights slowly flashing, are they doing backups, 

Possibly.  Check the status on the backup page in the web ui.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The first sync was for the original 2TB layer.  The second is syncing the expansion layer.  I agree that the email (and log message) could be more clear, as I have heard of users replacing a second drive while that 2nd sync is ongoing, thinking the NAS was done with the drive.  As you move thought the drives, each one is going to take longer.

Unless you need all the space right now or had reason to suspect the drives were nearing end of life, replacing all simultaneously is probaly not your best move.  It means your dives will all be the same age and subject to failure at similar times.  They are likely also from the same lot, should there turn out to be a lot related issue.  But, you have them now; so it's up to you to decide if you install them all now.

Message 2 of 5
Les214
Aspirant

Thanks for the information.  I understand what the NAS is doing.

I got some more emails from the NAS.

Two  told me I have external drives connected.  They are for auto backups.  Both have a light slowly flashing.

Then 1:01 am this morning - Volume data is Degraded.

4:05 am - Consumed space on folder (folder name) exceeds 88% of the quota (8GB).

4:37 am - Volume data is resynced.

- Volume data health changed from Degraded to Redundent.

-Disk in channel 3 changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.

The NAS is still trying to shutdown and it is not accessable.  I am wondering if the external drives need to be removed before shutdown can complete.  With their lights slowly flashing, are they doing backups, preventing the shutdown from completing?  The power button on the NAS is flashing at a rate of once a second.  Any recomendations of what I should do next? or just wait for the NAS to shutdown?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Les214 wrote:

With their lights slowly flashing, are they doing backups, 

Possibly.  Check the status on the backup page in the web ui.

Message 4 of 5
Les214
Aspirant

The NAS is back up and running.  The shutdown never happened.  Thanks to the last post, I was able to access the NAS through the Web UI.  I checked the backups and they were all fine.  Then I ejected both external drives and physically removed them.  Then I tried to do a reboot from the Web UI, but that did not work.  So finally I pulled the power, waited 30 seconds and pluged in the power.  The NAS booted fine. everything was healthy, so I pulled Drive 3 and put in the new 4TB drive and the NAS started to resycn.  I won't rush the process.

The first reply above mentioned being concerned about replacing all the drives ate the same time with the same drives.  While I can understand the logic of that concern, I would prefer running all the same make and model drives as I feel the performance of all drives should be the same and they should all work together in the NAS.

Thank you all of you that helped me through this upgrade.

Les

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements