× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2312 Resyncing Never Seems to End

Drunkenspyder
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 2312 Resyncing Never Seems to End

Hello All: I am new to NetGear NAS models. I've been using Synology devices for years. Recently, my Synology 2416RP+ failed when a PG&E power shutdown managed to get through  tripp-Lite protector and a Cyber-Power UPS. Data was backed up, so no loss there. I learned that this model was one of several with a technical issue on one of its circuit boards. And while I liked it, it was out of warranty and repair was expensive, and I wasn't going to buy another to replace it with this sensitivity. So, I looked around and decided to try the ReadyNAS 2312. I realize it's not the most high-powered NAS around, and it's big, but I liked that it fit in the rack I had. Here's the thing. I moved all 12 of the 6tb HGST drives from my Synology to the 2312, which was a piece of cake. That was 5 days ago, and while everything seemed to go smoothly, the darn thing has been resyncing ever since. Even when it says it has reached 100%, it then recommences resyncing all over again. Then, I received messages that the volume data was degraded, even though I had not transferred any data over to it. I understand how to diagnose that sort of issue on the Synology, but I am a little perplexed here. So, two days ago, I swapped out two drives that were the oldest of the twelve for two newer, larger Iron Wolf 10tb [identified on the NetGear chart as compatible]. This was my long term plan anyway, but I thought I would get started on it sooner than later. The volume has remained degraded, and it keeps resyncing over and over.  Each drive shows green, and on inspection, each drive appears healthy. When I click on Diagnostics in the NetGear RAIDar app, I get this:

Successfully completed diagnostics System

• Volume data is degraded

Logs

• No errors found.

I'm not an IT guy, but I've looked through the logs and didn't see anything particularly noteworthy, but am happy to share. Running firmware 6.10.2. Thanks!

P.S. It's a noisy beast, isn't it?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 2312 Resyncing Never Seems to End

Download the log zip package and take a look at mdstat.log to see what drives are included in the array.  The default should have been to create a RAID6 unless you changed to FlexRAID mode and told it to do something else.

If you have trouble interpreting, just cut and paste from the log into a message.

Once your NAS stops all the re-syncing, the noise will settle down quite a bit.  But any time it sees a lot of activity, the fan speeds will increase, and so will the noise.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Download the log zip package and take a look at mdstat.log to see what drives are included in the array.  The default should have been to create a RAID6 unless you changed to FlexRAID mode and told it to do something else.

If you have trouble interpreting, just cut and paste from the log into a message.

Once your NAS stops all the re-syncing, the noise will settle down quite a bit.  But any time it sees a lot of activity, the fan speeds will increase, and so will the noise.

Message 2 of 3
Drunkenspyder
Aspirant

Will do. Thanks much.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements