× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 312 - NIC Failure - How to Recover Data on the NAS??

chris_modica
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 312 - NIC Failure - How to Recover Data on the NAS??

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I am remotely supporting a customer office which uses a pair of ReadyNAS 312. Recently they lost access to the NAS. We found that we cannot ping either NAS and after investigating we suspect that their network interface cards have failed (probably due to a surge caused by a lightning strike).

We are not sure of the condition of the hardrives, but, if possible we would like to retrieve the customer's data in order to restore to a new NAS. Is there a procedure for what to do in this case?

NAS #2 was a backup for the NAS #1, so we don't have access to a backup right now.

If the HDD did survive, is there any way to download their data? As an experiment we tried inserting the HDD of one of our test NAS in our offices into another NAS, but it wasnt possible to access the NAS once we connected it back to our network again (even after restoring the new NAS to factory defaults).

There is a USB port etc. on the NAS312, bit I think these are used to backup data to the NAS, not from the NAS.

Does anyone have some ideas what can be done in this situation? We will eventually dispatch someone to the office to trouble shoot (it's in Kyrgyzstan).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Model: RN31221D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 312 - NIC Failure - How to Recover Data on the NAS??

Thanks for following up!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@chris_modica wrote:

If the HDD did survive, is there any way to download their data? As an experiment we tried inserting the HDD of one of our test NAS in our offices into another NAS, but it wasnt possible to access the NAS once we connected it back to our network again (even after restoring the new NAS to factory defaults).

If you did a factory default then you wiped the data on the disk - which defeats the purpose.

You can migrate disks directly to another OS-6 NAS.  All you need to do is power down the NAS, and insert all the disks (maintaining slot order if you can).  Then power up (preferably read-only in your case).  It's best to match the firmware of the two NAS first.  This will also work if you just migrate one of the disks in a RAID-1 array.

It is also possible to extract the data on another linux system or even a Windows PC.  You'd need to install mdadm and btrfs.  There is a post on that here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Data-recovery-on-Raid-5-array-in-Re...

ReclaiMe Raid recovery software will also work with Windows, though it does cost.  https://www.reclaime.com/

Message 2 of 6
chris_modica
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thanks for your reply.

The NAS we used were the same model and firmware, and we tried moving the HDDs from the original NAS#1 to the recovery NAS#2 first without factory defaulting, and then when that wasn't successfull we tried the factory default on NAS#2, but that didn't work either (of course we performed the factory default on NAS#2 before we moved the NAS#1 HDDs to it).

The NAS#2 started up after the HDD swap, but it seemed as though some setting was left on the NAS#1 HDD that stopped us accessing NAS#2 through the GUI. Not sure.

We are planning to work on the data recovery more next week. I will try this again, maybe it will just take some fiddling to make it work. If not, I will install mdadm and btrfs and try that.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@chris_modica wrote:

The NAS#2 started up after the HDD swap, but it seemed as though some setting was left on the NAS#1 HDD that stopped us accessing NAS#2 through the GUI. Not sure.

You definitely can migrate disks between OS-6 platforms.  I've done it (though not recently).

Was NAS#1 on the same IP subnet as NAS#2?  Did you try RAIDar to see if it could find it?

Message 4 of 6
chris_modica
Aspirant

@StephenB 

We were able to successfully migrate the HDDs to another RN312. 

The cause of our difficulties the first time was, after accessing via Raidar we did some intial setup, setting the original IP address, etc., in the setup wizard that opens automatically. That made it inaccessible though.

When we tried again and cancelled the setup wizard in Raidar, we were able to access it no problem.

Thanks again for your support.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Thanks for following up!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements