× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 313 - 6.2.0 - Can't remove Snapshot

mobiusnz
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 313 - 6.2.0 - Can't remove Snapshot

So I have a readynas that years ago was using snapshots. That Share is barely used now (One folder only). It says it has Zero snapshots but there is a snapshot with a c_2018_07_12__00_00_13 folder in it.

Because of this deleting things in the share doesn't actually free any space due to the snapshot.

I've tried enabling SSH and doing

touch /.force_snapshots_upgrade
systemctl restart readynasd

That seemed to renable snapshots as it then created a snapshot for another share. I was able to delete that snapshot and turn snapshots off.

I till can't get rid of the Snapshot of the share BACKUP - I can't delete files/folders as its read-only and it doesn't aknowledge any snapshots are taken to delete it through the gui.

Anyone got any other tips. I know the version is a little out of date but being a bit paranoid I want to do a data cleanup and backup if possible before updating. Its one of those things - They always say make a backup before updating and usually its fine but Murphy's law says this is the time it'll crash during an update.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

Forcing the snapshot upgrade can only be done in 6.4.0 and later.

Anyway 6.2.0 was the first firmware with the new snapshots and was released many years ago. You shouldn't still be running firmware that old.

/data/Backup/.snapshots/1/snapshot is a new snapshot.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mobiusnz
Aspirant

I've also tried

btrfs subvolume list -s /data/Backup

It lists

ID 13510 gen 953507 cgen 953507 top level 4416 otime 2018-07-12 00:00:14 path .snapshots/1/snapshot

So then I do 

btrfs subvolume delete /data/Backup/.snapshots/1/snapshot

And I get cannot delete - Device or resource busy.

It is a very large structure of folders totalling ~2.5TB and I initially had two Readynas and planned to use RSYNC to sync between them across a WAN link for backup purposes but RSYNC couldn't copy even on Lan with the size of the share and just crashed (Long time ago, can't remember specifics but wouldn't work).

Perhaps its trying to do the Snapshot upgrade but not completing due to the size - I'll leave it a couple of days and check back but does anyone have any advice?

Message 2 of 4
mdgm
Virtuoso

Forcing the snapshot upgrade can only be done in 6.4.0 and later.

Anyway 6.2.0 was the first firmware with the new snapshots and was released many years ago. You shouldn't still be running firmware that old.

/data/Backup/.snapshots/1/snapshot is a new snapshot.

Message 3 of 4
mobiusnz
Aspirant

Thanks for that info. At least I have a plan now. I’ll get the firmware updated after backing up the critical data.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements