× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3138 IP/DNS settings can't be modified

jbogdanovich
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3138 IP/DNS settings can't be modified

I have a ReadyNAS running 6.10.7 which was recently upgraded from 6.10.6 (same problem on 6-10-6).  The two domain controllers which run DNS services on my domain are being retired so I need to change the ReadyNAS DNS entries on the bonded interface (eth0 & eth1). Although I am able to modify, delete and add a new DNS IP's and apply, when I re-enter the IP settings GUI, the old DNS setting remain.  I used SSH and see resolv.conf still holds the old DNS setting that I need to change.  I was thinking of directly modifying the DNS in the resolv.conf but I have other manufactured devices that this file isn't the only place the DNS settings are stored and bigger problems started when manually modified.  Has anyone modified resolv.conf with success?

I saw one other post describing the same DNS problem.  Although the solution was not clear,  it seemed like he was told factory reset and start over.  That is absurd and I'm not doing that to a production iSASI NAS that runs my entire environment. Also, I don't have physical access to this ReadyNAS as I am remote from hundreds of miles away.

I have an active 5-year extended warranty on this NAS but after 4 weeks, "Support" has been completely unresponsive, offer no suggestion and refuses to call per terms of the agreement.

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand.

Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 3138 IP/DNS settings can't be modified

@jbofgdanovich

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried applying the settings again after doing it the first time? readynasd should overwrite the config but there are times that the procedure might not apply right away. You may try applying it again or saving the config again once you have done it the first time.

Not really sure if it's a bug but this will be reported. Please let me know if the workaround did the trick.

HTH

Message 2 of 5
jbogdanovich
Aspirant

I'm not sure I follow your suggestion to Apply the settings again.  Once I add, delete or change a DNS setting on the bonded eth0 & eth1 (bond0), I apply and get the spinning wheel.  It then returns to the parent menu GUI.  I click back on the gear to edit and see the original DNS settings again.  I can try changing the same way 10 times and it doesn't stick.

I just tried directly modifying the /etc/resolv.conf file.  When I go into the GUI to check, it hasn't changed to the new IPs.  I reboot the NAS and the old DNS IPs overwrite the resolv.conf.  Just as I guessed earlier, the DNS setting for bond0 seem to be stored somewhere else.  Where?

I have Support Case #-------- with and extended warranty contract so it's already reported.  They just don't respond for over 3 weeks now.  How can you help?

Thanks

Jan

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jbogdanovich

Let me check on the case, let's see what we can do. Thanks for providing additional information. Please make sure updated logs are attached on the case. Also they may request access.

Message 4 of 5
jbogdanovich
Aspirant

Still no contact from anyone at Netgear support.  I am a Powershift Business Partner with a support contract.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements