× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 Email Alerts

BobH54
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 Email Alerts

Hello All,

I have been successfully receiving email alerts for years for any critical events from my NAS.

After reviewing the logs I see that all these events are in the log, however I am no longer receiving the emails referencing the alert.  I checked all the setting and it's indicated that the "Email service to send alerts is configured properly".  I press send message and the test alert comes through to the proper email designated in the Alert contacts, but no alerts coming through when they are presented?

BobH54_0-1659553229347.png

Any insight as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 314 Email Alerts

If you are using gmail, then the "less secure apps" setting was deprecated a couple months ago.  You need to 

1. set up 2-factor authentication on the main account
  2. create an app-specific password for the NAS.
Message 2 of 10
BobH54
Aspirant

Well that's the thing, I specifically am not using gmail for that reason.  The thing that's baffling is the test messages all go through ok, but not the alerts!

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@BobH54 wrote:

Well that's the thing, I specifically am not using gmail for that reason.  The thing that's baffling is the test messages all go through ok, but not the alerts!

FWIW, yahoo mail works (with an app-specific password), and of course you can send the alerts to a gmail account.

Are you seeing any errors in the log zip file?

Though you likely have already checked - did you look in the spam filter?

Message 4 of 10
BobH54
Aspirant

This just doesn't make any sense to me since I'm receiving the test emails through the service provider with no problem.

I used to get these alerts when I installed new apps, disk defragmentation, disk failures all of those type of things and they are currently in the log file. It's like these events are not triggering the alert to be emailed.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@BobH54 wrote:

It's like these events are not triggering the alert to be emailed.

Have you looked in msmtp.log?  All the emails sent should be in there.

Message 6 of 10
BobH54a
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

yes I downloaded and look through those logs and it has all of the test messages listed in the log indicating "mail accepted for delivery". However these are all the test events from when I was re configuring the email.

There are no events listed triggered by the system for any other alerts the way it was previously prior from me noticing that I was not getting any notifications

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@BobH54a wrote:

Hi StephenB,

yes I downloaded and look through those logs and it has all of the test messages listed in the log indicating "mail accepted for delivery". However these are all the test events from when I was re configuring the email.

There are no events listed triggered by the system for any other alerts the way it was previously prior from me noticing that I was not getting any notifications

Double check that all the alert types are checked in the top of the alerts section in system->settings.

If they are, then try rebooting the NAS.

Message 8 of 10
BobH54a
Aspirant

Yes they are all checked, I just unchecked them all and rechecked them, thinking it might reset something.

I have had two of the 4 original disks fail on me the last two years while traveling. I had a friend come over and replace them while I was away.  I just awaiting the other two original disks left in the system to fail before long.

@StephenB 

BobH54a_0-1659627047920.png

Message 9 of 10
BobH54a
Aspirant

That may have done it.  I was not previously getting the normal notification that the system was rebooting, but I did get it this time.

Time will tell....thanks for your suggestions and insight.

@StephenB 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements