× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 - a year of hell and now lost 10years of da

StephenB
Guru

Disk 2 was the one that was clunking before, correct.

I think the better plan is to clone disk 4. With raid redundancy, you only need to get one of the two disks back.
Message 26 of 85
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It does sound like disk 2 has had it. I would agree with StephenB's advice. Hopefully disk four is the healthier disk.

If that doesn't help then expensive data recovery that may not be successful would be your only option to try and get data back.
Message 27 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Unfortunately, disk 2 is the only one that can be seen by the system 😞

is it worth a controller swap on disk 4?
Message 28 of 85
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's a controller swap?
Message 29 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Controller swap = Remove the controller/board from the not recognised Readynas disk 4 and carefully replace it with a working controller from one of my new disks. Hoping that the drive can them be recognised by the system.

Strangely though, I booted into Koppix/Linux without Disk 4 connected (as machine won't boot with it connected), then connected it and the disk was found.
Started recovering from that one, it seemed to be working, but have no idea how it is getting on as I'm at work now 😞
Message 30 of 85
StephenB
Guru

AndyBee1 wrote:
Unfortunately, disk 2 is the only one that can be seen by the system 😞

is it worth a controller swap on disk 4?
Probably a moot point now. But if you wanted to try that, I'd use the controller in disk 2, rather than sacrifice a new disk.
Message 31 of 85
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yeah, if disks can't be read then in some cases swapping mechanical parts using parts taken from a working drive of the same model may help.

As you can imagine such a labour intensive process is one of the reasons that professional data recovery costs a lot of money. Backing up data can be expensive particularly if you have a lot to backup, but the cost of backups has to be weighed against the cost of professional data recovery and how much one values data.

I'm not sure whether I'd take the controller from one failing disk and put it on another, but then I guess it depends on what in the disks has failed.
Message 32 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Disk 4 seems to be cloning ok - well it has definitely been running for a lot longer than disk 2 managed, and there's only the infrequent clickedy-click coming from it.

Here's the status at the moment:
GNU ddrescue 1.16
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
rescued: 13600 MB, errsize: 513 GB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 442674 MB, errors: 841, average rate: 447 kB/s
opos: 442674 MB, time since last successful read: 11 s
Copying non-tried blocks...

Is this good, bad, gonna take much longer?

What goes up and when? is 513GB of errors going to go downwards as it recovers stuff, do I need to run the other 11 commands that dorp the skip size down and do it in reverse? (that's another 11 runs through!) Does it get quicker on each pass as it only has to try the bad parts? Do I have to many to make it worthwhile? etc...

Here's what is currently still running from this morning:
ddrescue -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K 65536 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt           (sector size=4096, forced, min readrate=10485760, skip size=65536, retries=1)

Here's what is left to run!:
ddrescue -R -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K 65536 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt       (and again in reverse)
ddrescue -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K 16384 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (skip size down to 16384)
ddrescue -R -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K 16384 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (and again in reverse)
ddrescue -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K -A 4096 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (skip size down to 4096, retry all failed/skipped sections)
ddrescue -R -r 1 -a 10485760 -b 4096 -d -f -K -A 4096 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (and again in reverse)
ddrescue -r 1 -b -d -f -K 1024 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (skip size down to 1024, no min readrate)
ddrescue -R -r 1 -b -d -f -K 1024 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (and again in reverse)
ddrescue -r 1 -b -d -f -K 256 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (skip size down to 256)
ddrescue -R -r 1 -b -d -f -K 256 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (and again in reverse)
ddrescue -r 1 -b -d -f -K 64 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (skip size down to 64)
ddrescue -R -r 1 -b -d -f -K 64 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mnt/hdd0/btrfsd4log.txt (and again in reverse)

If someone could give me a quick run-down of the process and what I would see in numbers that would be great.
Message 33 of 85
dsm1212
Apprentice

I don't think this looks very good, but this first pass is 10MB reads so it will tend to skip a lot of data when their are read errors. You need to try the other passes to get more data off the disk. Unfortunate that you had two bad disks, but not unheard of. They probably came from the same lot. They were new drives right? Seagate had a contamination problem that caused some early end of life issues a year or two ago.

On a positive note, your problem appears to be the disks and there is a good chance the NAS is fine. It is theoretically possible that a bad controller could do write-longs to corrupt HW crc's and cause the disk to have subsequent read errors, but I've never seen that happen unless we're doing it on purpose to create disks with read errors for test situations :-).

Do have disk smart info for either of the disks you could post?
Message 34 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

So, I return home to find that it's pretty much gone the same way as disk 2:
Current status
rescued: 14871 MB, errsize: 2985 GB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 597228 MB, errors: 623971, average rate: 50270 B/s
opos: 597228 MB, time since last successful read: 4.2 h
Trimming failed blocks...

Is this as to be expected?
Should I just leave it for another.... day/week/month/year?
It's been 4.2hrs since the last successful read!
Will that error size drop down (it's 99.5% errors!)
Message 35 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

dsm1212 wrote:
They were new drives right? Seagate had a contamination problem that caused some early end of life issues a year or two ago.

Yes all delivered in a box snuggly fitted together from Computer 2000 I believe (through a 3rd party reseller), they were bought March/April 2013

As for SMART data, I think I can get that when this pass has finished (if it ever does). any particular command best to get it?
Message 36 of 85
dsm1212
Apprentice

On linux you can get smart output with:
smartctl -a /dev/sda (or whatever your device is)

If it hasn't had a successful read in 4.2 hours I think I'd give up. Drive timeouts are typically 30 seconds for a read. I doubt ddrescue is doing that many retries so basically it's skipping 10MB every 30 seconds. You've got about 1/6th of the drive done so if no other reads work, worst case you've got 250000 timeouts ahead of you (125000 minutes yikes!). Since both drives did this, there is a very slim chance that this form of read/write exercise is exposing either some bug in the firmware or exacerbating the hw problem. You may want to power cycle the drive and try different ddrescue settings. Maybe smaller read/writes. It's worth a shot.

steve
Message 37 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Interrupted ddrescue, powercycled drive, pc, drive again, restarted etc. Can't get drive to be seen in Gentoo 😞
Message 38 of 85
mangrove
Apprentice

Well that is truly unfortunate, I feel for you 😞 If both drives are THAT broken, it's very hard to do anything. I'm not sure a controller swap will accomplish anything here, but at least it can't hurt trying.
Message 39 of 85
xeltros
Apprentice

Disks are under warranty (warranty is typically 2 or 3 years for most disks) so it will void support from the manufacturer...
With unreadable disks you have no choice than to ask professionals to tear them appart and read them like CD but that will cost a lot since it must be done in a dust-free environnement with appropriate hardware.
Message 40 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

If I get a 3rd party to tear them apart to attempt a recovery, will that void my disk manufacturers warranty?
Message 41 of 85
xeltros
Apprentice

Unless the manufacturer has a service like that of his own, of course it will void the warranty, in fact warranty is void as soon as they see that a screw was removed or when they have surge, water or fall traces. The problem is to know when they see it, some manufacturers have indicators to see that, other don't bother.
The best thing is to contact the manufacturer and to plan something with him. They may be able to suggest better solution and trusted professionals for recovery. But I can tell you this won't be cheap, of that I'm pretty sure.
Message 42 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Ok, thanks xeltros 🙂
Message 43 of 85
beisser1
Aspirant

hey guys, just stumbled across this. i was the L3 working on this back in april.

the disks were completely dead. the system couldnt see those 2 drives at all.
and what cannot be seen, cannot be cloned.

the later posts by andy proved my point. these drives are dead by every definition.

the only thing that may work is to have a professional company disassemble the drive in a clean room environment and have them attempt to recover data.
this usually costs a load of money and is only worth it if the data is truly irreplacable or has a lot of money attached to it (like financial data of the company).
i would estimate this costs at least 4 digit sum (just guessing here).
Message 44 of 85
AndyBee1
Aspirant

Hi bessier, thanks for your attempts to recover it back in April.

I have sent the disks to a company who gave me a quote range much less than 4 digits (but still in the few hundreds), so we shall see if that is still the price when they analyse the disks in a day or two...
Message 45 of 85
beisser1
Aspirant

well i wish you the best of luck with that.

please keep us updated.
Message 46 of 85
Andy_Bee_1
Aspirant

The disks went off to a Data recovery company who lie about their pricing and try to force you to part with a lot of money for no result. Luckily I spotted a page on the internet about them before I spent the money. They have been reported to the Trading Standards Office here in uk over 400 times already! They were also revealed on a german TV program. Googel Fields Data Recovry (or their many other scam names)
http://www.datarecoverycompanies.co.uk/fields-data-recovery-article-i164.html

Anyway...

I bought 2 replacement drives, and spent a month or so rebuilding about 50% of my data (from previous disks, and then more recent stuff dotted around).
Amazingly, disk 3 now suddenly starts producing errors! SO I turned the damn thing off.
Got my old ReadyNas Duo v2 (which has never thrown a disk error to my knowledge) all connected up, factory reset, and upgraded. To make a backup of the ReadyNas314

Low and behold, the thing won't turn on properly.
The LED said booting, the Power light flashed for a long time, but couldn't connect the browser. The LED display now alternates between OS version and name/IP, and the Power light and disk lights are all on permanently. I am getting more disk errors through e-mail from it:
Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [13777] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F29V7G] 179 times in the past 30 days.
Detected increasing ATA error count: [4200] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F29V7G] 6 times in the past 30 days.
But still no life.
Device is Offline.
Sorry, we could not restore the connection.
Do not reboot the device.
Call Netgear technical support (I'm not in USA!)

God, what a disaster this purchase was! 😞
Message 47 of 85
StephenB
Guru

This new problem is on the duo v2?

They have local numbers in quite a few countries = including the UK. 0844 875 4000 is the number for home products shown on support.netgear.com. Though you might need to use paid support for this if you use the phone.
Message 48 of 85
mangrove
Apprentice

Unfortunately, those ST3000DM001 drives seems to be complete crap (check out all the Newegg reviews, mindboggling). It happens -- some WD models have been terrible too, and we all remember the Deathstars. That being said, I think several Seagate lines have been really flaky the last couple of years, and that includes everything from laptop drive to enterprise SAS drives (meaning their near-line 7200 rpm storage, but 10k and up seems to work, OTOH I have fewer of the latter).
Message 49 of 85
Andy_Bee_1
Aspirant

This disk dying is on the ReadyNas 314 again. 3 out of the 4 original drives I put in are now dead!

I have Seagate drives in the Duo (x2), the Pro4 (x4), the 3200 (x12) of which none have had a serious disk error in 3 years
I think you are right, it is perhaps these specific ST3000DM001 drives!
Do you think there is some comeback for customers because of HOW bad they are and the problems they have caused?
Message 50 of 85
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements