× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 replacing the ReadyNAS 6 OS

EHCanadian
Star

ReadyNAS 314 replacing the ReadyNAS 6 OS

Has anyone replaced the os sucessfully with a clean install of debian or prefered linux distro?

I'm under the asumption that the built in flash memory has a limit of 4gb, that 4gb is mirrored to the raid volume.

I'm under the impression that this may be a one way trip. Once you install another os you lost the ability to revert and you are

now a outcast to the readynas community lol.

I have my reason as to why I would like to do this. I have 4gb of ram installed so any x86 build should suite my needs fine since the

cpu is a Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D2701 @ 2.13GHz with 4 cores..

Flash memory boots first, Raid/Drives second. Configure little writing as posible to the flash partition.

Flash has a limited life span so logs and active data if posible should be writen to the hard drive raid.

Don't need a gui, Just a terminal. While my data is backing up to a cloud storage I'd though I'd ask the community if anyone

has been sucessful.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
EHCanadian
Star

Re: ReadyNAS 314 replacing the ReadyNAS 6 OS

Correction: Flash drive is 128MB for RN OS v6

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@EHCanadian wrote:

I'm under the asumption that the built in flash memory has a limit of 4gb, that 4gb is mirrored to the raid volume.

No.  The operating system is installed onto the OS partition (which is mirrored on all the hard drives as RAID-1).  But the flash is not mirrored to the OS partition on the disks.  It contains the boot loader, the install image for the disks (for factory installs or OS recovery), and the minimal system that is used when you boot into tech support mode.

If you google, you'll find some folks who've apparently done this with the RN102 and RN104 (both arm platforms).  No idea how to adapt those steps for the RN314.

Message 3 of 4
EHCanadian
Star

You are correct regarding the: The operating system is installed onto the OS partition (which is mirrored on all the hard drives as RAID-1)

Unfortunately I am unable to edit my initial post. I will report back once my atempts(s) have been executed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements