× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 314 running firmware 6.9.5-unable to access home folder admin

Ray2
Luminary

ReadyNAS 314 running firmware 6.9.5-unable to access home folder admin

ReadyNAS 314 running Firmware 6.9.5

Was using a Windows 7 desktop as sole admin (no other users) and was able to see and access home page/admin using File Explorer.

Have switched to a new desktop with Windows 10 Pro (Version 1809) and can no longer see or access home page/admin using File Explorer.

I can see it and access it through the Radiator Admin Page, but simply does NOT show up in File Explorer. Most inconvenient.

I tried turning off SMB protocal through the "access" tab, and then turning it back on again--but that did NOT work.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

This is happening because you aren't using the NAS admin credentials in the Windows 10 system.  To solve this, go into the Windows Credential Manager and 

• delete any saved credentials for the NAS (both IP address and hostname)
  • add new credentials using "admin" as the username, and the NAS admin password (again both IP address and hostname).

Then reboot the PC.

Though in my option a better option is to simply stop using the admin folder.  Home folders aren't as easy to restore from backup as other folders, and some apps/services won't work with home folders (for example, DLNA).  So personally I'd

• copy the stuff in admin to a new share
  • delete the contents in admin
  • disable SMB for the home folder in the share settings.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

This is happening because you aren't using the NAS admin credentials in the Windows 10 system.  To solve this, go into the Windows Credential Manager and 

• delete any saved credentials for the NAS (both IP address and hostname)
  • add new credentials using "admin" as the username, and the NAS admin password (again both IP address and hostname).

Then reboot the PC.

Though in my option a better option is to simply stop using the admin folder.  Home folders aren't as easy to restore from backup as other folders, and some apps/services won't work with home folders (for example, DLNA).  So personally I'd

• copy the stuff in admin to a new share
  • delete the contents in admin
  • disable SMB for the home folder in the share settings.
Message 2 of 3
Ray2
Luminary

Worked like a charm AND I appreciate your observations about its deficiencies relative to using it to begin with. Thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements