× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 316 and Seagate ST5000DM000 5TB drive

jsdeprey
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 316 and Seagate ST5000DM000 5TB drive

I know this drive is not on the compatibility list, but they seem like a good deal and wondering if anyone had trying them yet.
The 4TB of this same drive is on the compatibility list "ST4000DM000" so maybe the 5TB version should be fine?
I am surprised the list is so small, is it too much to ask they test drives as they come out. I am thinking about pulling the plug on buying a 316, and these drives seem like the best price point, so just waiting on some input I guess.
Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 316 and Seagate ST5000DM000 5TB drive

Likely it will work, but if it is not on the HCL when you need support, netgear would probably deny support.

Personally I'd suggest the WD EFRX series or the Seagate VN (nas) drives instead. They have better manufacturer warranties, and are intended by seagate/wdc for home NAS use. They usually are just a bit more expensive, but in my opinion the 3 year warranty makes up for that.
Message 2 of 9
jsdeprey
Aspirant

I have been using regular desktop drives in my older NV+ forever and never had an issue, I really wanted 5TB drives and the WD Red 5TB drive is also not on the compatibility list even though the 4TB and the 6TB are on the list, same as the fast the ST4000DM000 is on the list and not the ST5000DM000, seems like someone is just slack at doing the compatibility testing.
For some reason there are no 5TB drives on the list but when you check drive prices the price jump between 5TB and 6TB is allot.
How often do they update the list?
Message 3 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

There are a lot of drive models that come out almost every few months, so I guess they can't test all of them. Also, it seemed like there are not a lot of people that are using 5TB drives on their NASes so probably it is not likely to be tested. 😞
Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I've used desktop drives in the past as well, but the NAS drives are currently a better option. Among other things, manufacturer warranties have shortened, so you only get 1 year on a new desktop drive. The price difference between a WD 6 TB Green and a WD 6 TB Red is $16 at Amazon (US) at the moment. The difference between a Seagate 4 TB VN and a 4 TB DM is $25. As far as I am concerned, the longer warranty makes this a no brainer - NAS drives are definitely the way to go. All my recent purchases have been various WDC Red drives.

I think the HCL issue here is that 5 TB drives came out very close to the 6 TB launch. I suspect if the manufacturers weren't in a capacity race we'd have seen more 5 TB drives deployed (and at least one on the HCL). I'd like to see 5 TB models added, and I think Netgear needs to find some way to fast-track NAS and Enterprise drives on the HCL. We're down to Seagate and Western Digital, it seems to me that they should be able to do a better job of keeping current.
Message 5 of 9
jsdeprey
Aspirant

I still think the price is the major factor here.
I went ahead and got 4 WD 4TB Reds, but here was the price choices.

WD 4TB Red = 155$ each x 4 = 16TB for $620

Seagate 5TB (ST5000DM000) = 170$ each x 4 = 20TB for $680

WD 5TB Red = $215 each x 4 = 20TB for $860

WD 6TB Red = $266 each x 4 = 24TB for $1064

Now nether of the 5TB drives above are supported at all on the compatibility list. But I would not expect Netgear to support the drives, and hope they would still support software issues with the NAS itself, but maybe not.
But even if a drive above crashes 1 year after I install them the price for these drives will be so cheap by then I do not mind replacing them at that time personally, and since I will be running Raid 5 a failed drive should not be a huge issue.
I really wish I could/would have went with the 4 5TB Seagate drives above, even if they have a higher failure rate, it is a acceptable price vs. risk to me, seeing I would have gotten 4TB more for 60$
Not supporting the 5TB drives would be fine if the price was not so much more compared with the Seagate 6TB, you basically get 4TB more for $384.
It is all about the money.

I have been running 4 2TB Seagate Desktop drives in my NV+ for well over a year now and have not had any failures, those drives are now 80$ each.
Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The WD 5 TB reds have the same list price as the seagate DM's, its just that at the moment the seagates are more heavily discounted.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Seagate-Barr ... B00KIVMRWU
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Western-Digi ... ext=browse

The price history shows that the gap was much less in November ($210 vs $225), which is about the delta I mentioned above for the NAS drive.

But the Seagates dropped $40 over Christmas, the Reds only dropped $10. Makes me wonder if they are clearing inventory on the seagate.
Message 7 of 9
jsdeprey
Aspirant

Heavily discounted sounds good to me 🙂
Seagate is coming out very soon with 8TB shingled drives, but not sure if they would be a good idea in a NAS unit.
Looks like they are about the same price as the 6TB Reds.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/12/seag ... ard-drive/
Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

jsdeprey wrote:
Heavily discounted sounds good to me 🙂
Seagate is coming out very soon with 8TB shingled drives, but not sure if they would be a good idea in a NAS unit.
Looks like they are about the same price as the 6TB Reds.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/12/seag ... ard-drive/
Yes, that will be interesting. Not sure if it is suitable in NAS either, it has a spec'd load limit and also that particular technology doesn't handle vibration very well. Though seagate may have found ways to compensate for that.

I'm hoping the price point will drive prices down generally, but we will need to wait a few weeks and see.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements