× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3220 Questions

guitman
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3220 Questions

The ReadyNAS 3220 is topping my list of NAS devices I am researching. A few questions:

I assume this is software RAID? If so, no need to worry about options for second controller.

Is the option to buy and install a 10GbE SFP available in this unit should I desire a few years down the road? Or am I required to buy the 4220 for that expandability?

How is the warranty on these items? I am finding it very difficult to find this information.
- Is there an extended warranty?
- What happens if something in the chassis breaks? Do they offer same/next day support and replacement?
- If I need to replace the whole unit, is it as simple as ripping the drives out of the old and installing into new? Or will I lose all my configurations and data?

I called tech support to ask these questions in person and I was tossed all around. Finally I got to a tech support guy who was not very helpful at all. What is everyone's experience with support?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 3220 Questions

guitman wrote:

I assume this is software RAID? If so, no need to worry about options for second controller.

Yes
guitman wrote:

Is the option to buy and install a 10GbE SFP available in this unit should I desire a few years down the road? Or am I required to buy the 4220 for that expandability?

Ask JabbaTheHutt
guitman wrote:

How is the warranty on these items? I am finding it very difficult to find this information.

5 years Including Next Business Day Onsite Replacement (Where available)
guitman wrote:

- Is there an extended warranty?

No, but 5 years is a great warranty length. Though there are additional support options i.e. ProSupport
guitman wrote:

- What happens if something in the chassis breaks? Do they offer same/next day support and replacement?

Depending what it is they may wish to replace just the part or the whole chassis. This should be next business day as well
guitman wrote:

- If I need to replace the whole unit, is it as simple as ripping the drives out of the old and installing into new? Or will I lose all my configurations and data?

All configuration, data is stored on the disks. Even the OS is.

Put a spare disk (not from your array) in the replacement, update the firmware to at least as new as what you were running, verify update successful, power down, remove spare disk and migrate your disks across (while it shouldn't be necessary it's best to keep the disk order the same).
Message 2 of 8
guitman
Aspirant

Thanks so much mdgm. This option is looking better and better. The 5 year warranty may seal the deal, no one else offers this out of the box.
Message 3 of 8
guitman
Aspirant

Also, I do not see a user with name JabbaTheHutt. Is there someone else I can direct that question to?
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see the user JabbaTheHutt: http://www.readynas.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=57144

He is listed in the Global Moderators list.
Message 5 of 8
Lucille1
Aspirant

As of the many reviews so as in the direction of I have understand script, it seems that one can only pay cash intended for
the original product in a small amount urn for the same price because
the former small amount urn.
Message 6 of 8
horim80
Guide

If you want 10G, should buy RN4220S(fiber) or RN4220X(copper) 10G is not supported on RN3220.
Message 7 of 8
yenobia
Aspirant

Thanks so much mdgm.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements