× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 4200

dbrown_victoria
Follower

ReadyNAS 4200

i'm considering a readynas 4200 for backup storage, some video/picture storage in an enterprise environment.

i am finding it difficult to get clear information about the readynas & would like to post some questions.

- how many snapshots can i have at one time?
- will a large number of snapshots adversely affect performance?
- are the snapshots visisble to all users, or can access to the snapshots be permissioned?
- we would need to replicate the data to a 2nd offsite readynas, will the rsync replication retain all ntfs permissions on files/folders?
- will the replicated data be able to retain the snapshots of the 1st readynas?
- is there email notification of any equipment (disk/psu/etc.) failures
- is there email notification of disk usage or warnings when getting close to full?

thank you for any answers or other useful info you might be able to provide.
Message 1 of 3
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: ReadyNAS 4200

dbrown@victoria.ca wrote:
i'm considering a readynas 4200 for backup storage, some video/picture storage in an enterprise environment.

i am finding it difficult to get clear information about the readynas & would like to post some questions.

- how many snapshots can i have at one time?

- will a large number of snapshots adversely affect performance?

since only 1 snapshot is active, I don't think it effects performance at all

- are the snapshots visisble to all users, or can access to the snapshots be permissioned?

snapshots are accessed via 'sharename-snap', they should have the same permissions as the original

- we would need to replicate the data to a 2nd offsite readynas, will the rsync replication retain all ntfs permissions on files/folders?

good question, not sure but I would suspect so

- will the replicated data be able to retain the snapshots of the 1st readynas?

you do not replicate the snapshot itself, only the data that is frozen in the snapshot, so no

- is there email notification of any equipment (disk/psu/etc.) failures

yes and you can configure alerts within frontview

- is there email notification of disk usage or warnings when getting close to full?

yes, ditto above
Message 2 of 3
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: ReadyNAS 4200

You may also want to consider/research 'readynas replicate' which is an addon from netgear which enables x86 based devices to backup over a secure internal vpn using (optional) mulitple snapshots and rsync.

It is not a cheap solution, you need at least 2 x86 readynas devices and 2 replicate licences for it to work, but there is a free trial period you can use to experiment with before having to pay for the licenses
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements