× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 424 Egnyte Compatabilty

JordanBeckett
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 424 Egnyte Compatabilty

Hi all, I'm new here!

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area, as it forced me to select a type of location/router (I'm not looking for router support?)

Anyway, two quick questions about my new ReadyNAS 424... 

1. Where do I put my data?   By default there were 3 directories created (admin, data, home) and I dont want to use any of them.  In fact, Id like to delete them for simplicity but can't seem to.

TALK ABOUT CONFUSING -- what's the difference between these three seemingly-redundant directories and why are they here in the first place?

READYNAS\admin
READYNAS\home\admin

READYNAS\data\home\admin

Three different admin folders?  Two similar structures (home\admin) in different contexts?  This is ambigious and redundant.  Not a fan of auto-populated garbage like this.

2.  Can I delete these folders?  Id just like to use the ReadyNAS as a RAID.  I don't want fancy folders (especially when they all look the same and I don't know the purpose behind each.)  I just want to drag and drop my files as I would if I were plugging into an external USB hard drive.

Thanks so much for your help!

All the Best,

Jordan Beckett

www.jordanbeckettphoto.com

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 424 Egnyte Compatabilty

@JordanBeckett wrote:

1. Where do I put my data?   By default there were 3 directories created (admin, data, home) and I dont want to use any of them.  In fact, Id like to delete them for simplicity but can't seem to.

You create shares (using the shares page on the admin web ui), and put your files in those shares.

Normally there would be several shares already listed there.  If you don't want to use them you can delete them from the shares page.  Don't try to delete them using file explorer - that won't work.

@JordanBeckett wrote:

By default there were 3 directories created (admin, data, home) and I dont want to use any of them.  In fact, Id like to delete them for simplicity but can't seem to.

TALK ABOUT CONFUSING -- what's the difference between these three seemingly-redundant directories and why are they here in the first place?

READYNAS\admin
READYNAS\home\admin

READYNAS\data\home\admin

You are confused because you are accessing the NAS with it's admin credentials.  That shows you the volume (called data by default).  That also shows you the home folder - where the home shares of every NAS user account lives.  That home share has the same name as the user account (which is admin in your case).

READYNAS\admin, home\admin, and data\home\admin are the same folder - just three different paths to access it.  You can't delete these (or home or data) - and if you managed to do it you'd create serious issues.   But you can remove them from the File Explorer list.

The first step is to create a NAS user account in the web UI for accessing your data.  For instance, you could call it Jordan. 

The second step is to use that account to access the NAS.  If you use windows, you enter a windows credential for the NAS on the PC.  Do this by entering "credential manager" in the windows search bar, and launch the program that comes up.  The credential's "internet or network address" is the NAS name (sounds like it's READYNAS in your case).  The username would be "Jordan".  You can optionally enter the password if you like - that would save you the trouble of entering it, but of course it also allows anyone using the PC to access the NAS.

If you also access the NAS using it's IP address, you can add a second windows credential using the IP address as the "internet or network address".  That can use a different NAS account if you like.

Once you've done this, data, home, and admin will all disappear.  But you will see a jordan folder (your home share).

Step 3: To make jordan disappear, you go to the shares page in the admin web ui.  Click on the share settings wheel for home, and disable the file sharing protocols there (in particular SMB).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements