× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 424 adding disk

andyh03
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 424 adding disk

Do you have to fully populate all the drive bays at the same time when using X-RAID? Specifically using ReadyNAS 424 could I install three 10TB drives and leave the fourth bay open? When I need more storage space I could install an additional drive without having to reformat all the disks?

I heard the only way to increase size of a raid drive array is to reformat all the drives..

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 424 adding disk

@andyh03 wrote:

Specifically using ReadyNAS 424 could I install three 10TB drives and leave the fourth bay open?

Yes.  IMO that is a good approach, as using an empty slot later on is the most cost effective way of expanding the array.

@andyh03 wrote:

When I need more storage space I could install an additional drive without having to reformat all the disks?

I heard the only way to increase size of a raid drive array is to reformat all the drives..

All you need to do is hot-insert a new (blank) disk into the empty slot, and the NAS will automatically expand it.  If that disk isn't blank, then you will need to format it from the web ui - but you won't need to reformat the existing drives.

However, the RAID array does need to be re-organized to use the new disk.  That process is called "resyncing" in the NAS web ui, though it is also called "reshaping".  You don't have RAID redundancy when that is happening, so it is wise to make sure your backup is up to date before you manipulate disks.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

What you heard about resizing RAID arrays may be true for some implementations, but Netgear has done some clever things to make XRAID easy to expand.

Not only can you leave one bay empty, it's the best way to go.  There is no sense in putting in more space than you need now, the drive will only get older.  And the price will likely go down.  Do make sure you leave the caddy/tray in place to keep the air flowing properly.  Leaving one of the center slots empty instead of #4 can sometimes make the NAS run a little cooler, too, since all of the drives will have at least one side without an adjacent drive.

Message 3 of 7
andyh03
Aspirant

Wow, this is great news! Thanks for confirming this will work and the insight regarding how to arrange the drives for airflow.

Would the same apply to the ReadyNAS 626X which is six bays? In this case I would initially populate with three 10TB drives and add 10TB drives as additional storage is needed.

Do you see any flaws with this approach? Any other recommendations?

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 4 of 7
andyh03
Aspirant

One of the resellers just told me the 424 and the 626X are end of life, I can not find any documentation on the Netgear website regarding this, is it true? If so what are the newer NAS devices I should be considering? 

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@andyh03 wrote:

One of the resellers just told me the 424 and the 626X are end of life, 

I doubt it.  The RN424 is only a year old, and is the newest desktop platform. 

The RN626x is older (3 years).  More plausible, but still unlikely.  The oldest platforms are the RN200 (already replaced by the RN210), the RN100 (no longer shipping) and the RN310 (which I believe is no longer shipping, and goes back to 2013).

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@andyh03 wrote:

Wow, this is great news! Thanks for confirming this will work and the insight regarding how to arrange the drives for airflow.

Would the same apply to the ReadyNAS 626X which is six bays? In this case I would initially populate with three 10TB drives and add 10TB drives as additional storage is needed.

Do you see any flaws with this approach? Any other recommendations?

Likewise, this is the smarter way to go than populating with more smaller drives or populating with more space than you have an expectation to use in the near future.  Adding space when you have empty slots is more cost efficient.

If you have 4x810TB, adding another 10TB to an empty bay adds 10TB.  If you have a 4-bay NAS, assuming RAID5, and need to increase, you have to replace 2 10TB with 2 12TB just to gain 2TB.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements