× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 524 data Dead

rantech
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 524 data Dead

Unit about 5 years old with WD Red 6TB Drives.  Run a monthly Disk Test.  Todays disk test reported (2) drives as failed even though both are clean on SMART Errors and show as green in Web Interface.

Removed (1) drive in Bay 2 and replaced with new WD Red Plus 6TB Drive.  Attempted to Resync but failed (numerous emails saying changing to online, then changing to resync and back and forth).  Now display shows data Dead.

Note: put the removed "failed" drive in a USB housing, hooked up to computer and ran WD Data Lifeguard.  SMART reported PASS, Quick test reported PASS, but extended test reported "FAIL" with too many bad sectors.

I can access from web interface.  I seem to be able to access files from browser in web interface but can no longer access files from mapped shares - reports IO errors and won't pull up files.

I have not shut down the NAS and am looking for suggestions

- Do I try replacing the drive in Bay 2 again (hot swap or turn off, swap and reboot)?

- Is there anyway to recover the Data volume ?

I do have a regular backup schedule to another NAS so I think I'm okay but I would like to try and restore the data on this NAS if I can.  If not, how best to replace all the original drives and start over with it ?

Thanks in advance ...

Robert

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 524 data Dead

@rantech wrote:

Unit about 5 years old with WD Red 6TB Drives.  Run a monthly Disk Test.  Todays disk test reported (2) drives as failed even though both are clean on SMART Errors and show as green in Web Interface.

Note: put the removed "failed" drive in a USB housing, hooked up to computer and ran WD Data Lifeguard.  SMART reported PASS, Quick test reported PASS, but extended test reported "FAIL" with too many bad sectors.

This isn't that unusual.  It's fairly common for disks to fail w/o any SMART errors.  IMO, Netgear's thresholds in OS-6 are far to lax - showing drives as ok, even when they clearly aren't.

@rantech wrote:

- Do I try replacing the drive in Bay 2 again (hot swap or turn off, swap and reboot)?

I do have a regular backup schedule to another NAS so I think I'm okay but I would like to try and restore the data on this NAS if I can.  If not, how best to replace all the original drives and start over with it ?

At this point you likely have some file system corruption due to the bad sectors.  So I'd restore from the backup myself.

I'd test all the drives in lifeguard using the extended test (and personally I follow that up with the full erase test).  Then I'd purchase replacements for the ones that are failing.  FWIW, I also test newly purchased drives that way before putting them in the NAS.

You can save the config files, and then start over with a factory default.  Just remember to reinstall any apps before you restore the config.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@rantech wrote:

This isn't that unusual.  It's fairly common for disks to fail w/o any SMART errors.  IMO, Netgear's thresholds in OS-6 are far to lax - showing drives as ok, even when they clearly aren't.

@rantech wrote:

At this point you likely have some file system corruption due to the bad sectors.  So I'd restore from the backup myself.

I'd test all the drives in lifeguard using the extended test (and personally I follow that up with the full erase test).  Then I'd purchase replacements for the ones that are failing.  FWIW, I also test newly purchased drives that way before putting them in the NAS.

You can save the config files, and then start over with a factory default.  Just remember to reinstall any apps before you restore the config.

Message 2 of 5
rantech
Aspirant

I have logitech media server installed but it is no longer available for installation ... I guess I don't need it on this NAS but will that cause problems with the configuration restore?

Alternatively, I found a debian download online but it is available in two options: ARMEL and AMD64 ... which would be the one I would install on a 524 ?

Thanks !

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rantech wrote:

I have logitech media server installed but it is no longer available for installation ... I guess I don't need it on this NAS but will that cause problems with the configuration restore?

It could. The problem is that the app configuration files are restored, but the app itself is missing.  That shouldn't prevent the NAS from working, but the app itself might appear to be installed (and be impossible to uninstall).

@rantech wrote:

Alternatively, I found a debian download online but it is available in two options: ARMEL and AMD64 ... which would be the one I would install on a 524 ?

ARM would be for the RN100/RN200 models.  The RN524 is x86 (and would use AMD64).

Not sure where you are looking, but a generic deb file might not install - it depends on whether the needed libraries can be installed on the NAS.  The config files might also not be compatible.

If you don't need the app, then I suggest just reconfiguring the NAS manually, and skipping the config file restore.

Message 4 of 5
rantech
Aspirant

I just did the factory restore and manually recreated the config. Per your recommendation, I didn't bother trying to backup and restore.

I might now backup the config and then try installing the deb package and see if it works.  If I try this before I restore all the data, I don't have a lot to loose and can always restore the backed up config (or factory reset and restore the config).

FYI: I tested all the disks that I pulled from the machine.  The second drive that failed drive testing but passed SMART on the 524 was reported as failed by the WD software immediately upon seeing the disk.  It didn't even need to start any tests.  Very strange that a drive could be "failed" that badly but the ReadyNAS is still showing it as green with no SMART errors.  Not ideal.

The two drives that did not fail on board drive testing did successfully pass the 10 hour extended WD disk test.  However, as they are the same age as the two that failed, I decided to replace one of those as well so that I only have one of those disks in the new array.  Don't want to chance it with two of those original disks.  Maybe I should have replaced both but I also would like to avoid all new disks that are all the same age as well to minimize the chance of the double failure at the same time again.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements