× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 626X w/ 6x12TB disks makes low hum

Deal
Tutor

ReadyNAS 626X w/ 6x12TB disks makes low hum

I recently noticed that my ReadyNAS 626X begins to make a low continuous humming noise when it has been running for a few hours. The hum is not loud, but it is noticeable when I stand next to the unit. If I put slight pressure on both sides of the unit with my hands, the hum seems to go away (maybe damping?). I know the unit did not make a humming noise when new because I watched it closely for several days to ensure no issues.

There is no indication of an operational problem with the unit otherwise. For the past several months (6+), the only red log entries were related to antivirus scanner not able to download new definitions. The yellow entries lately are due to the battery in the UPS needing replacement, which I plan to do soon. No other messages indicating any kind of issue.

I don't know a way to see the S.M.A.R.T. data for the disks -- that might be helpful to narrow the field some, but I don't hear typical drive noises when they're about to go (this is not my first ReadyNAS). All the drives and the ReadyNAS as well were new in 2019, so not that old.

I'd appreciate any clues to what might be wrong and how I might prevent a major issue rather than wait for it to fail.

TIA

David

Model: ReadyNAS 626X-100NES

Firmware: OS6 6.10.6 (soon to be 6.10.7)

Environment:

I normally leave the unit running 24x7 though it gets little use overnight as I believe that is best practice for longevity. The daily load on the unit is fairly light, only myself using it. The volume is half full, mostly with 20 - 40GB video files.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Deal wrote:

I don't know a way to see the S.M.A.R.T. data for the disks

Download the full log zip file, and look in disk_info.log.

@Deal wrote:

I recently noticed that my ReadyNAS 626X begins to make a low continuous humming noise when it has been running for a few hours. The hum is not loud, but it is noticeable when I stand next to the unit. If I put slight pressure on both sides of the unit with my hands, the hum seems to go away (maybe damping?). I know the unit did not make a humming noise when new because I watched it closely for several days to ensure no issues.

Could be fan noise, mechanically coupled to the chassis?

You could look at the fan speed and temps after startup, and then again when you start to hear the hum.  You could also try changing the cooling mode, and see if that changes the symptom.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Deal wrote:

I don't know a way to see the S.M.A.R.T. data for the disks

Download the full log zip file, and look in disk_info.log.

@Deal wrote:

Could be fan noise, mechanically coupled to the chassis?

You could look at the fan speed and temps after startup, and then again when you start to hear the hum.  You could also try changing the cooling mode, and see if that changes the symptom.

Message 2 of 5
Deal
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check the logs and the fan/temp. I thought it could be the fan but didn't think of a way to check it. Guess I was tired -- it was late. I do have the unit set to Cool; I think I'll try Balanced or Quiet to see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
Deal
Tutor

I changed the fan setting from Cool to Quiet and waited a few minutes for temps to equilibrate and the hum was barely audible. Then I tried the Balanced setting and the fan sped up, the temps decreased and the hum was more perceptible but still difficult to hear unless you're listening for it. Changed the setting back to Cool and the fan speed shot up, the CPU, Sys and disk temps came down. Had to wait for the fan to equilibrate at 1600+ rpm before it was soft enough to hear the hum, but it was back and easily audible. I think you were right. The fan seems to be the culprit. My warranty is 5 years which should have me covered till 2024, but just in case, any guidance on purchasing a replacement in case its not covered by warranty?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Deal wrote:

Had to wait for the fan to equilibrate at 1600+ rpm before it was soft enough to hear the hum, but it was back and easily audible.

My own system (and RN526x) is set to balanced, and generally is running at about 900 rpm.  It is in my basement, so a fairly cool environment.  

Based on the photos here the NAS isn't using a CPU fan, but only a case fan.  That simplifies this, since there would be only one fan to replace.  If the NAS is no longer under warranty, you should be able to find the fan specs on-line, and get a compatible one (potentially quieter).

Putting some pads under the NAS might quiet it down some (eliminating any mechanical coupling to whatever it is on). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements