× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 628 CPU Upgrade

GeraldMSanderso
Follower

ReadyNAS 628 CPU Upgrade

Hi There,

I own two ReadyNAS 628x and wondering whether anyone here in the forum has attempted to replace the Xeon 2.2GHz CPU with a higher performance CPU, Xeon 3.5GHz, via reballing since these CPUs are not replaceable.

Reballing is not something that I'm too worried about, but I wonder whether the ReadyNAS's Firmware or even the Hardware's BIOS would be able to accept the higher Performance CPU....

The Manufacture may have embedded some restrictions. To prevent the cowboys from performing their upgrade, but if anyone out there has attempted such an upgrade, I would like to know.

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to hearing some stories about such endeavors if anyone dares to take a risk.

Thanks
Jerry

P.S.
Yes, I am aware the Hardware warranty will be voided, which is something I can careless.

Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 628 CPU Upgrade

I don't know about the 628 specifically, but the OS doesn't seem to care about the CPU.  Older NAS models with removable CPU's were routinely upgraded.  The BIOS is another issue, though.  One thing to check is whether or not your replacement CPU was available when the 628 was released.  If it wasn't, there is a higher likelihood that the BIOS does not support it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements