× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Device Compatibility List

Han_Solo
Tutor

manfredell wrote:

OK. I have installed the patch. I presume that this won't be a problem when you release the patch for the WD20EADS? If yes, than how do I uninstall this one?

Thx again

It will not be an issue. We will make sure to remove the old one and use the newer version.
Message 176 of 450
manfredell
Aspirant

I have a problem after installing this patch on my Pro Business:

When I go to Frontview, System-Shutdown, and I select to Shutdown&Reboot (selecting also the FS and fix quotas) the Pro used to reboot and do the checks. Now nothing happens!!!

I just did this yesterday and it worked rebooting and checking. Now it doesn't any longer, the only change was the install of the patch.

What's happening and how can I fix this???
Message 177 of 450
manfredell
Aspirant

Frontview was screwed! No way around it.

The only solution was performing a OS reinstall via the reset switch and boot menu.
Did that, reinstalled the extensions I had but without this patch.
Frontview working again as it should!

So I can only conclude that the patch caused this.
Message 178 of 450
rejemy
Aspirant

I concur with manfredell -- after installing this patch, you can no longer reboot the system from Frontview. When you select to reboot and hit apply it just immediately takes you back to the main status page. I've tried this using both Firefox and Safari with the same result. I haven't tested shutting it down with the power button on the front, but using 'reboot' after SSHing into the box works fine. I'm assuming the power button would also work to bring the box down safely.
Message 179 of 450
manfredell
Aspirant

rejemy wrote:
I concur with manfredell -- after installing this patch, you can no longer reboot the system from Frontview. When you select to reboot and hit apply it just immediately takes you back to the main status page. I've tried this using both Firefox and Safari with the same result. I haven't tested shutting it down with the power button on the front, but using 'reboot' after SSHing into the box works fine. I'm assuming the power button would also work to bring the box down safely.

Thanks for testing this and reporting. This was drivinf me nuts!!!

The issue is not only not being able to reboot but also to

-start filechecks and sorts
-factory restore
and possibly others

How can they release such a "PATCH"??????
Message 180 of 450
nick_lowe
Aspirant

On the basis that the 1.0TB Barracuda LP (ST31000520AS) was on the compatibility list, I took the plunge a purchased two of the 1.5TB drives (ST31500541AS).

I'm pleased to report that I have had them running without any discernible issues for a while in my ReadyNAS Duo.

(The price of the 2TB variant (ST32000542AS) seemed relatively excessive, so I avoided them!)

It would be nice to see both being added to the compatibility list if/when you have the ability to test them.
Message 181 of 450
tanhc
Aspirant

Hi,

I noticed that the compatibility list indicates the D-Link DGS-1008D as incompatible but it doesn't say why.
I'm using the D-Link DGS-1008D with an NV+ and it seems to work.
But having read the compatibility list, I'm now unsure if there is any problem I'm not noticing.

Can someone tell me what is incompatible about the D-Link DGS-1008D?
Cheers!
Message 182 of 450
Elvis85
Aspirant

tanhc wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that the compatibility list indicates the D-Link DGS-1008D as incompatible but it doesn't say why.
I'm using the D-Link DGS-1008D with an NV+ and it seems to work.
But having read the compatibility list, I'm now unsure if there is any problem I'm not noticing.

Can someone tell me what is incompatible about the D-Link DGS-1008D?
Cheers!

I've been using the same switch since July with no apparent problem.
Message 183 of 450
tanhc
Aspirant

That's comforting to know Elvis85. Thanks.

Does anyone know what the actual complaint against the DLink DGS-1008D was?
Performance or any problem with Jumbo Frames perhaps?
Message 184 of 450
InterClaw
Aspirant

I'm using a couple of DGS-1005D units connected by regular Cat5 cables. I get peak speeds around 26-27 MB/s to and from my NV+. Don't know if that is good or bad though really, but I'm guessing it's fairly normal.
Message 185 of 450
smartwombat
Aspirant

It sure is taking a long time!

Yes, and I'm running out of space !
I don't want to use EADS drives, I want the enterprise WD2002FYPS support on NV+
Any idea when?
Message 186 of 450
pho
Aspirant
Aspirant

+1

i'm running out of space myself and waiting for the WD20EADS to be officially supported
Message 187 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

smartwombat wrote:
I want the enterprise WD2002FYPS support on NV+
Any idea when?

Hopefully when 4.1.7 comes out, whenever that is. It could be a while. I remember reading somewhere on the forums that December was a possible time for release of the 4.1.7 beta (I think), but it could have changed since then.

Hopefully a Jedi can comment?
Message 188 of 450
lukeness
Aspirant

D-Link DGL-4100 wired router works fine. This is actually the same router as the DGL-4300 that is already on the HCL, but the 4300 has wireless as well.
Message 189 of 450
gosand
Aspirant

Han Solo wrote:
manfredell wrote:

What about the WD20EADS ???

The WD20EADS are next on the list.

Can I get some more specifics here ?

I bought a brand new RND4000 and four WD20EADS at the end of July. After two successive drive "failures" I realized something was up and read all about how I was actually a western digital beta tester.

So now I've been staring at a $2500 paperweight for 4 months now.

This is not trivial - I can't just blow $2500 and walk away. Further, I'm running an increasingly risky backup scenario because I can't use the NAS I bought, but have no budget to replace it.

When will I get to use the equipment I bought four months ago ?
Message 190 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gosand wrote:

I bought a brand new RND4000 and four WD20EADS at the end of July. After two successive drive "failures" I realized something was up and read all about how I was actually a western digital beta tester.

So now I've been staring at a $2500 paperweight for 4 months now.

This is not trivial - I can't just blow $2500 and walk away. Further, I'm running an increasingly risky backup scenario because I can't use the NAS I bought, but have no budget to replace it.

When will I get to use the equipment I bought four months ago ?

I understand your issue, but its exactly why I recommend buying disks on the HCL. It's also a major reason why, although I love to buy diskless units (I've got two of the RND4000) so I can choose my own disks, NetGear is keen on selling ReadyNas with disks pre-installed as these come with disks on the HCL and limits the chances of this kind of situation occurring.

Buying disks before they're added to the HCL is not recommended as even if they are added in the future it can be difficult if not impossible to predict when they'll be added. Things can go wrong and NetGear will not add disks to the HCL until they are satisfied that they are compatible. There must still be an outstanding compatibility issue. These things take time to get sorted out.

Hopefully NetGear is working with WD and will come out with a solution soon, hopefully Solo or someone else from NetGear can comment. You may wish to give Solo a PM (if you haven't already).
Message 191 of 450
gosand
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

Buying disks before they're added to the HCL is not recommended as even if they are added in the future it can be difficult if not impossible to predict when they'll be added. Things can go wrong and NetGear will not add disks to the HCL until they are satisfied that they are compatible. There must still be an outstanding compatibility issue.

Only after speccing out and purchasing all of this, and wasting days and days while blowing multiple disks in this setup, did it ever even occur to me that there could be such a thing as an HCL for hard drives. That's NOT obvious, and there is no reason for the average person to understand the nuances of modern day hard disk firmwares and greenwashing and all of the other BS that causes a simple SATA device to behave badly like this.

Oh I've learned my lesson now - I will never be a WD/seagate/hitachi beta tester again, but it's not like I willfully ignored the HCL or just crossed my fingers or something - I had NO IDEA that modern drives were this ridiculously complicated and so fraught with bad code. Shame on them.

Oh, hey - there's that $2500+ paperweight again.

mdgm wrote:

These things take time to get sorted out.

They've been in the channel for purchase for 10 months now. I pity the poor people who _didn't_ blow a few drives right off the bat and are now nursing broken systems along, or worse, have lost data. At least my paperweight had no data on it yet...
Message 192 of 450
gosand
Aspirant

Ok, venting done. Back to the issue at hand - the firmware update that will enable use of the wd20eads drives.

- Are we talking next week, or 6 months from now ? They've been out for just over 10 months now, so I'm hoping the "fix" is right around the corner ?

- Will the fix require drive firmware updates and/or manual idle settings, etc., (insert ridiculous DOS procedure here) ? If so, will this be detailed with the firmware update ?

Thanks.
Message 193 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gosand wrote:

Only after speccing out and purchasing all of this, and wasting days and days while blowing multiple disks in this setup, did it ever even occur to me that there could be such a thing as an HCL for hard drives. That's NOT obvious, and there is no reason for the average person to understand the nuances of modern day hard disk firmwares and greenwashing and all of the other BS that causes a simple SATA device to behave badly like this.

I agree. NetGear should make it clearer e.g. get resellers to point out in the information that they provide to customers that you need to use drives on the HCL found at http://www.readynas.com/hcl. Your kind of situation is part of the reason for NetGear distributing NASes prepopulated with drives.

gosand wrote:

Oh I've learned my lesson now - I will never be a WD/seagate/hitachi beta tester again, but it's not like I willfully ignored the HCL or just crossed my fingers or something - I had NO IDEA that modern drives were this ridiculously complicated and so fraught with bad code. Shame on them.

Part of the problem is that if one manufacturer releases a higher capacity drive the others won't want to be left behind...

gosand wrote:

Oh, hey - there's that $2500+ paperweight again.

It's not a paperweight. It may be to you at the moment but the NAS should work with drives from the HCL. And you have a five year warranty starting from when you purchased earlier this year.

gosand wrote:

mdgm wrote:

These things take time to get sorted out.

They've been in the channel for purchase for 10 months now. I pity the poor people who _didn't_ blow a few drives right off the bat and are now nursing broken systems along, or worse, have lost data. At least my paperweight had no data on it yet...

Well NetGear has to work with WD, try and get information, code etc. from WD, compile etc. and then test it. If the tests fail, then they would have to continue to work with WD and come up with a new solution and try that. It takes time to rigorously test drives. Then the people at NetGear could have a whole range of other issues that could crop up that they have to deal with. I don't find it too hard to imagine how these things can drag on quite a long time. It's annoying for you, but there's not much that can be done about it except to wait, I think.
Message 194 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gosand wrote:

- Are we talking next week, or 6 months from now ? They've been out for just over 10 months now, so I'm hoping the "fix" is right around the corner ?

Did you PM Solo like I suggested (see the PM button below one of his posts)?
gosand wrote:

- Will the fix require drive firmware updates and/or manual idle settings, etc., (insert ridiculous DOS procedure here) ? If so, will this be detailed with the firmware update ?

I would imagine an add-on (temporarily needed till new RAIDiator version) or just a new RAIDiator version would be all that would be needed. Any information you need to know should be referenced by a note in the HCL for the drive e.g. take a look at the note for the WD Enterprise compatible with x86:
HCL wrote:

6.The WD 2TB RE4 – GP drive is currently only qualified on the following systems: NVX, NVX Pioneer, 2100, Pro Business and Pro Pioneer . Support for the NV+, Duo and 3200 to follow. When using these drives the following add-on must be installed (this code will be included in the next RAIDiator releases).

This required an add-on on 4.2.5, but now on 4.2.7 and above I believe does not (don't think they've updated it to say this yet). The WD 2TB Enterprise disk is still not compatible with NV+. The WD20EADS could have a similar note if it's added to the HCL.
Message 195 of 450
InterClaw
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
NetGear will not add disks to the HCL until they are satisfied that they are compatible.

As always, everyone can still make a mistake though. 😉
Message 196 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

InterClaw wrote:
mdgm wrote:
NetGear will not add disks to the HCL until they are satisfied that they are compatible.

Yes, but we can't expect NetGear to add disks quickly to the HCL if we mistakenly pruchase them not realising that those disks are incompatible.
Message 197 of 450
InterClaw
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
InterClaw wrote:
mdgm wrote:

Yes, but we can't expect NetGear to add disks quickly to the HCL if we mistakenly pruchase them not realising that those disks are incompatible.

Actually, those disks WERE on the HCL and were later removed, because they didn't work properly at that time. I purchased them when they were "compatible".

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. The drives were later re-added to the HCL. What I meant to say is just that anyone can make a mistake - even the Jedis it seems. :wink:
Message 198 of 450
giro
Aspirant

Hi - I have a APC 420 SMART UPS (no USB) (http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/i ... umentation)

This has an IP address of 127.0.0.1 but the UPS isn't found when the UPS's IP is entered into the UPS Configuration -> Remote IP Address Field.

Is this UPS compatible &/or is another addon needed to support non USB ups via IP address only?

Thanks in advance Mike G
Message 199 of 450
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

giro wrote:
Hi - I have a APC 420 SMART UPS (no USB) (http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/i ... umentation)

The UPS sharing over the network is designed for one NAS sharing a UPS (connected to the NAS using USB) over the network with another NAS (though you can use this to share a UPS hooked up via USB to a NAS with computers) with power cable hooked into the same UPS. I'm not sure if what you want to do is possible.

Your UPS is not on the HCL.
Message 200 of 450
Top Contributors
Announcements