× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Dilemma

alexr114
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Dilemma

Hi,

I have been for some time now looking at getting a NAS drive and as I have scrapped some money together I am now looking into it more certainly. The reason for getting one is I stream alot of videos onto my Xbox and the SATA ports on my motherboard are full of storage hard drives. I am looking to get the RND2000 or RND2110 but the main question I was looking to ask which I can't seem to find anywhere is on lots of the reviews they say you can use one of the hard drives as a backup and the second hard drive gets mirrored. Is there a way that both drives can be used for storage and streaming or is it an automatic feature that you can only use one?

Thanks very much for any responses and Merry Christmas!

Alex
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Dilemma

alexr114 wrote:
...the main question I was looking to ask which I can't seem to find anywhere is on lots of the reviews they say you can use one of the hard drives as a backup and the second hard drive gets mirrored. Is there a way that both drives can be used for storage and streaming or is it an automatic feature that you can only use one?
You can set up the Duo to use both drives for storage.

Note that there two models of RND2xxxx out there, and they are very different. So be careful to look at the part number info to know what you are buying.

The RND2000-200 is a brand new ARM-based product. It is much faster than the older Duo, but at present does not have as many features, and few community add-ons.

The RND2000-100 is a much slower product based on the SPARC processor. It supports more protocols and has a lot of add-ons.
Message 2 of 4
PapaBear1
Guide

If you were considering the RND2000-100NAS (v1 - the original Duo) then you might want to consider the limited sale that Newegg is having. I get their newsletter and they are promoting the RND4000-100NAS (also the v1) which is the NV+. The NV+ is basically a 4 bay version of the Duo with the addition of an LCD front panel for messages (it goes off after a short period to conserve power). With the Promo Code of EMCJHHD45 the price is $249.99. Another option is a combo with the NV+ (v1) and two Seagate ST1000524AS Hard Drives for a total of $429.97. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789848. These drive are listed on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

If you are looking for something to stream HD video rather than acting like a straight file server where you need the processing power to convert the video, neither the Sparc based nor I feel the ARM based ReadyNAS line will have the power to do that. In fact, if you want to stream HD video, you will have to go to the top of the ReadyNAS line, where you can get the Intel E2160 and E5300 dual core processors and 1GB of memory. If you are streaming compressed video such as mp4, the Sparc based units have more than enough power and speed to do that. While I usually store my videos on an NVX, I do use my old NV+ (purchased in June, 2007) as a backup to my NVX and just started playing an mp4 video without any problems.

Advantages of the 4 bay over the 2 bay are that fact that you can start with two drives and expand to three or four as you need them, and the LCD front panel which is far easier than figuring out what light flashes mean.
Message 3 of 4
alexr114
Aspirant

Ah thanks to both of you. Thats a great amount of info to get me started 🙂
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements