× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo - Disk issue

ripface
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo - Disk issue

Hi All,

I recently purchased two new 2TB disks to upgrade my ReadyNAS Duo. I picked the WD20EARS Caviar Green from the compatibility list. I removed my old 500GB drives one at a time and replaced with the 2TB units. All went well and the data was mirrored across to the new drives.

Unfortunately the final step failed. When I rebooted the NAS to force the volume to expand across the new spaace I got the SOS light flashing. Replacing the original 500GB drives got me back up and running ... but not sure what to try next.

Any ideas people?

Cheers,
Ripface.
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo - Disk issue

You might wish to backup your data and then factory reset with the new drives in place. Particularly if your 500GB disks are not 4k sector aligned.

Take a look at Why you might want to factory reset a Sparc ReadyNAS
Message 2 of 3
ripface
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo - Disk issue

Hi mdgm,

The data was already secured to an external drive. Took AGES!! I thought plugging in an external USB drive to the NAS would be the quickest way but it seemed to take forever to complete the copy.

I already tried to reset the ReadyNAS to factory default with the new drives in place. Did it twice in vact and each time it finished with the old SOS lights. It would only boot properly when I popped the 500's back in.

Any more for any more? There are not any specific jumper settings for these drives is there?.... is it worth trying the 4.1.8 Beta Raidiator?

Cheers,
Ripface.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements