× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 ... or is it? Underside label suggests so, but Serial number suggests v1.

taylord01
Guide

ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 ... or is it? Underside label suggests so, but Serial number suggests v1.

Hi there.

BACKGROUND

- Just wanting to do some general housekeeping on my ReadyNAS Duo, as all this UK heat has caused a one of my RAID disks to fail.

- I need to procure a new 2TB SATA disk, hot-swap and backup from working disk, and make sure it's on the latest firmware.

FACTS

- Underside label on the unit says it's a READYNAS DUO RND2000 V2.

- It has a firmware(?) sticker also on the underside saying "FW: V4.1.6"

- Front of the unit says "ReadyNAS Duo"

- Serial number on Netgear Registration site suggests it's a Duo v1.

- All rather confusing tbh

GENERAL

- Yes, I know it's an old piece of kit but it suits me fine and I just want to make sure I'm running the latest Firmware and RAIDiator (currently 4.1.16).

QUESTIONS

1) Do I download the RND2000 V2 latest firmware (5.3) or leave at RND2000 V1 firmware (4.1.16)

2) Can I use any equivalent 2TB SATA, or do I have to go hunting for a legacy like-for-like for the one that popped? (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1862 GB)

Much appreciated folks!

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 ... or is it? Underside label suggests so, but Serial number suggests v1

@taylord01 wrote:

- Underside label on the unit says it's a READYNAS DUO RND2000 V2.

- It has a firmware(?) sticker also on the underside saying "FW: V4.1.6"

- Front of the unit says "ReadyNAS Duo"

- Serial number on Netgear Registration site suggests it's a Duo v1.

- All rather confusing tbh

You have a Duo v1.  More precisely, you have hardware revision 2 of the Duo v1.  

Yes, it is confusing - Netgear really should have picked a different model name for the two v2 platforms.

@taylord01 wrote:

1) Do I download the RND2000 V2 latest firmware (5.3) or leave at RND2000 V1 firmware (4.1.16)

Since it is a v1, you need to leave it at 4.1.16.  5.3.x wouldn't install (but if it did, it would brick your NAS).

@taylord01 wrote:

2) Can I use any equivalent 2TB SATA, or do I have to go hunting for a legacy like-for-like for the one that popped? (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1862 GB)

You don't need like-for-like, so you don't need to go searching for a long-discontinued disk.  The HCL hasn't been updated for some years, so it is not a useful guide.

I recommend NAS-purposed drives for your NAS.  I use a WD20EFRX in my own Duo, and it works well.  A 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf should work also, but I haven't tried it.

Message 2 of 4
taylord01
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2 ... or is it? Underside label suggests so, but Serial number suggests v1

Thanks so much for the prompt reply StephenB!  Brilliant.

Ok - so I think my main job then, is to focus on mirroring the working RAID disk onto a new SATA.  I've actually got a "Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GB's 7200RPM 64MB Cache".  Desperately hoping this will be ok.

As the NAS over-heated in the recent UK hot weather, I've put the Seagate disk into slot 1 and left it for 48 hours.  Blue power light 'stuck on' and green disk light for Disk 1 flashing on/off, Disk 2 green light 'on' (the good disk). I reckon there's 1.5TB to mirror but I'm wondering if it's hung.  I can't see the NAS on the network.  It was fine with just the working Disk 2 in the unit - I could see it on the network.

Any advice about doing a factory re-set (or similar) before I attempt this hot-swap/mirror again?

Many thanks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@taylord01 wrote:

Ok - so I think my main job then, is to focus on mirroring the working RAID disk onto a new SATA.  I've actually got a "Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GB's 7200RPM 64MB Cache".  Desperately hoping this will be ok.

Barracudas don't have a great reputation for use in RAID arrays, particularly the 3 TB models.  The WD20EFRX and the Ironwolf will both run a lot cooler.

@taylord01 wrote:

As the NAS over-heated in the recent UK hot weather, I've put the Seagate disk into slot 1 and left it for 48 hours.  Blue power light 'stuck on' and green disk light for Disk 1 flashing on/off, Disk 2 green light 'on' (the good disk). I reckon there's 1.5TB to mirror but I'm wondering if it's hung.  I can't see the NAS on the network.  It was fine with just the working Disk 2 in the unit - I could see it on the network.

Both disks are installed? And RAIDar can't find the NAS?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Try powering down, removing the new seagate and powering up without it.  Confirm that the NAS is operating normally, and your data is still accessible.  Then try hot-inserting the seagate (with the NAS running), and see what happens.  It should begin to resync automatically, and data should still be accessible.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements