× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100 drive upgrade

dmellon
Follower

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100 drive upgrade

A Seagate ST3 1000528AS drive failed in my ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100 unit.  The legacy compatibility charts contain a limited list of 1 TB replacements.  I would like to upgrade to at least an enterprise unit and hopefully one produced within the last few years.  Most of the exact replacements seem to have been produced more than 5 years ago making me wonder what value a 5 year warranty would have or even if they would be "new" if purchased. 

Amazon offers a RE SATA III WD1003FBYZ unit as well as older RE3 and RE4 drives but I can't confirm without your help if they are compatible.  My other drive is a Caviar Green that I will also be replacing soon.

I suppose another option is to upgrade the NAS duo if that makes sense.  The highest speed use I have is streaming movies to a TV and I carry it with me on RV excusions.

Model: ReadyNASRND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100 drive upgrade

@dmellon wrote:

A Seagate ST3 1000528AS drive failed in my ReadyNAS Duo RND2110-100 unit. 

Netgear no longer updates that list - most of the drives on it are out of production now, so it has little value.

So the best option is not to worry about the list.

One approach is to use a NAS-purposed drive - a WD10EFRX (WD "Red") or a ST1000VN002 (Seagate "IronWolf").  Both have 3 year warranties, both are designed for NAS, both are quiet and cool-running.  You could of course upgrade to 2 TB (WD20EFRX, ST2000VN004).  The duo won't handle drives bigger than 2 TB. 

If you want to go with enterprise class, then with WDC you'd need an RE drive, since the Red Pro sizes start at 3 TB.  Perhaps the WD1004FBYZ  or WD2004FBYZ.  There is a 2 TB IronWolf Pro you could also try:  ST2000VN0001  Enterprise class drives have 5-year warranties.

I use WD20EFRX in my own duo v1, and have had no problems with it. The duo isn't fast enough to really take advantage of a 7200 rpm drive, and I'd rather keep the power use down and the system cool.

@dmellon wrote:

I suppose another option is to upgrade the NAS duo if that makes sense.  The highest speed use I have is streaming movies to a TV and I carry it with me on RV excusions. 

You can of course upgrade the NAS and get better performance and more features (perhaps using the duo v1 as a backup).  The RN212 would be a good choice.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements