× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo RND2110v2 model compatibility?

pjrothwell
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo RND2110v2 model compatibility?

Hi all.  My trusty old ReadyNAS Duo, that has served me well for several years, has died suddenly and I need some advice on an equivalent replacement please.  Underneath the unit it says the model number is RND2110v2.  From reading up on other posts it seems to be the known issue of power supply failure (I've tried a different power cable but the unit is dead, no lights on or anything).

I am assuming the disks are fine, with the data intact.  I realise that I can recover the data by other means, but I don't have the software or know-how so I would prefer to purchase a similar unit so that I can simply swap in my existing disks and recover the data (I do have a backup of some of the data but it is too old and I hadn't backed up in full recently so I really want to get access to all the existing data).  My problem is that I can source similar sounding models (e.g. RND2120, RND2150), but not an identical model number at the moment, and I don't know which other models are compatible and would allow me to simply swap in the disks I have from the dead unit.

Could anyone advise which model numbers will be compatible please?

Model: ReadyNASRND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 1TB (1 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pjrothwell

Welcome to the Community!

It would be better if you can find a Similar model which is the RND2110v2 (Duo V2 with 1x1TB) or the diskless model RND2000v2 (Duo V2). But IMO it's best to go with an OS 6 model which are way better than the older models since it only supports SMB1 and no further firmware updates will be available. The RND2120 and RND2150 is on a different architecture and software than your Duo V2 so it is not possible to migrate the disks. But you can check if you really have a Duo V2 or V1 by checking this page.

You can migrate the disks from your RND2110v2 to an OS 6 model like the RN200, RN400 and up series. You will just have to properly setup the NAS using this guide and/or contact support for assistance. (There's a 90 day support contract included for Brand new purchases). Note: Your disks should be in healthy condition in order for the data to properly be recovered.

But again if you just want to have the disks inserted and get the NAS running then getting the same model as with your old NAS would be the way to go. 

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pjrothwell

Welcome to the Community!

It would be better if you can find a Similar model which is the RND2110v2 (Duo V2 with 1x1TB) or the diskless model RND2000v2 (Duo V2). But IMO it's best to go with an OS 6 model which are way better than the older models since it only supports SMB1 and no further firmware updates will be available. The RND2120 and RND2150 is on a different architecture and software than your Duo V2 so it is not possible to migrate the disks. But you can check if you really have a Duo V2 or V1 by checking this page.

You can migrate the disks from your RND2110v2 to an OS 6 model like the RN200, RN400 and up series. You will just have to properly setup the NAS using this guide and/or contact support for assistance. (There's a 90 day support contract included for Brand new purchases). Note: Your disks should be in healthy condition in order for the data to properly be recovered.

But again if you just want to have the disks inserted and get the NAS running then getting the same model as with your old NAS would be the way to go. 

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 9
pjrothwell
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the quick reply.  Very helpful.

Message 3 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

What do you mean by NAS has "died"

Perhaps the least expensive option could be to replace the power supply unit?

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@pjrothwell wrote:

Hi all.  My trusty old ReadyNAS Duo, that has served me well for several years, has died suddenly and I need some advice on an equivalent replacement please.  Underneath the unit it says the model number is RND2110v2. 

You do need to be careful here, as the labels on the back and rear are misleading.  A "Duo v2" runs 5.3.x firmware, and says "v2" on the front of the chassis as shown below.

duo v2.jpg

A Duo v1 runs 4.1.x firmware and just says duo on the front chassis, as shown below.

duo v1.jpg

You can't migrate disks from a Duo to a Duo v2 (or vice versa). They are very different platforms.

I agree with @bedlam1 that you could try a risk-buy of a replacement power brick.  I don't recommend buying a used NAS that matches your model, as it will be old.

I recommend off-loading your data yourself.  If you have a windows system, you can use r-linux for windows ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ ), connecting disk 1 of your NAS to the PC either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock

Message 5 of 9
pjrothwell
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for your reply bedlam1.  By "died" I meant it has been continously powered on and operating normally for many months, but on Sunday morning I found it was powered down and would not power on again.  It was totally unresponsive.  I checked the fuse in the mains plug was ok, and swapped in a different mains power cable, with no difference.  A visual inspection of the power supply board inside the unit last night didn't reveal anything unusual i.e. no components showing sign of burn out etc.  I have asked an electrician friend of mine to stop by tonight and check for me that the power supply brick is actually outputting a 12V supply, just to make sure that's not the problem.

Message 6 of 9
pjrothwell
Aspirant

And thanks for the warning about misleading model number stickers StephenB.  There is no "V2" on the front of my unit, so it seems I probably have the original version.  Very confusing!

I'll get an external USB adapter/dock and will give the self-recovery route a go (assuming it doesn't turn out to be the power brick of course).  Might sound a stupid question, but which slot is Disk 1, left or right hand side when looking from the front of the unit? I can't find this in the manual and have lent the unit to my electrician friend for him to check the brick and PSU board for me so I can't look at it to see if they are numbered but, having removed and kept both of the disks I do know which one was in which side.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Disk 1 is on the left hand side.

On your NAS, the disks are partitioned somewhat differently - the data files won't be visible on the mirror disk.  The mirror disk is normally disk 2, but in some rare cases it is disk 1.  So if you see some files with r-linux for windows - but not your data - then you should try the other disk.

Message 8 of 9
pjrothwell
Aspirant

Quick update to say that, after learning how to use it properly, self-recovery worked using R-Linux and a USB dock adapter.  Thanks for the help and advice.

Lesson learned I guess; even with a mirroring RAID setup on a NAS you still need to backup regularly in case the whole unit fails!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements