× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo Rnd2210 locks up just a few seconds after bootup is complete.

Kalabin86
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo Rnd2210 locks up just a few seconds after bootup is complete.

I tried looking for answers first but the only other similar thing I found was from 2013 and sadly what I read there did not help.

Short version: I ended up helping a friend of my dad's with some tech support. Disregarding all other issues that person has the one that matters right now is that he has a ReadyNAS duo (RND2210) where he keeps important things because he was told that it was a safe option because it uses mirrored drives. 

So the first thing I did was the obvious restart procedure. Still had no access. I messed around for an hour or so until I noticed that it worked for just a few seconds at some point after the reboot is complete. During those seconds I did manage to get the password request window when I tried to access its /admin/ but the standard password did not work and he claims to never have changed the password. Didn't matter much because it locks up right after anyway. If I try to access the admin page while it locks I just get an infinite load. 

With no admin password and no time to do anything even if I had the password I feel like I am running out of options to do anything other than a factory reset which would also lose all data on the hard drives.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to save the data from the drives or a way to stop it from locking up after just a few seconds? I wish I could give more information but I only have access to the device on weekends and even then it is just for a couple of seconds at a time.

Model: RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Duo Rnd2210 locks up just a few seconds after bootup is complete.

Just checking that you know that the standard password for that unit is netgear1, not password as with newer systems.

It may be useful to see the NAS status with RAIDAR (see ReadyNAS-Downloads ).

An OS re-install from the boot menu will probably fix the problem,  It will also reset the admin password to netgear1.  See How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Duo-NV-NV-X6-or-600 .  Just be sure to do an OS re-install, which retains all the data, not a factory default, which wipes it.

And tell your friend's dad that a RAID system is safer, but certainly far from 100% safe.  If anything on it is really important, he needs true backup.  Old IT saying:  "If you only have one copy of something, you must not think it's important."

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Also go into "turn windows features on or off" in the PC (assuming Windows 10 or 11) and make sure that the CIFS 1/SMB client is enabled there. 

@Sandshark wrote:

It may be useful to see the NAS status with RAIDAR (see ReadyNAS-Downloads ).

If RAIDar gives you an IP address, you could also try entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar, and see if it gives you a share list. If it does, then click on the shares and copy off the data.

Message 3 of 7
Kalabin86
Aspirant

@Sandshark 

Every site that I found on google said the default password was password so netgear1 could help.

You have given me plenty of options to try so thank you very much.

Wouldn't being able to reinstall OS to reset password be a potential security issue? Not that it really matters in this case though.

I still wish I knew why it happened as it is a very odd behaviour.

I will try to post an update on monday with how it went. Any other suggestions people can think of until the weekend are welcome.

@StephenB 

Thanks for the suggestion but that has already been done. CIFS 1/SMB client was very high up on my list of things to try to begin with.

I already know the IP of the NAS and I have already tried accessing it through the IP in a file explorer window. Just like with the admin page it loses connection just 10-20 seconds after I get access to it post boot. I was temporarily a little bit hopeful that if I managed to begin a copy procedure it wouldn't just shut down mid-copy but it did.

Still, any help is appreciated so thank you for your input.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@Kalabin86 wrote:

Wouldn't being able to reinstall OS to reset password be a potential security issue? Not that it really matters in this case though.

Doing an OS re-install requires physical access to the NAS.  If one has physical access, there are other ways to get to the data, too.

Message 5 of 7
Kalabin86
Aspirant

@Sandshark 

Alright, so here is the updated situation as of right now:

I installed RAIDar (and Java because apparently they use that) and the readyNAS behaved very strangely. I noticed it said something about syncing 0% with -99 minutes until completion. Both hard drives had green lights but HDD2 when I hovered over it said it had 4200 errors. 

I did some googling around and found that it should still be able to boot up with just a single drive so I removed the one showing errors and booted it up. I now have "stable" access to the NAS but it is still showing odd behaviour such as being very slow. I am currently in the process of backing up everything on the drive in case something goes even worse and the speed keeps jumping between 10Mb/s and then down to 0, stays at 0 for 30 seconds, then jumps back up. On and off, on and off. Once everything is recovered it might be prudent to do a full reset on it anyway. 

Finally there is the question of the broken drive. If we wanted to replace the damaged drive is there anything that needs to be considered or done other than getting one of a suitable size and plugging it in?

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Kalabin86 wrote:

Finally there is the question of the broken drive. If we wanted to replace the damaged drive is there anything that needs to be considered or done other than getting one of a suitable size and plugging it in?

Of course there is the question of which drive model.  I suggest a NAS-purposed CMR drive.  For example, Seagate Ironwolf or WD Red Plus.  I don't recommend WD Reds, as the current Red drives are all SMR.

@Kalabin86 wrote:

I am currently in the process of backing up everything on the drive in case something goes even worse and the speed keeps jumping between 10Mb/s and then down to 0, stays at 0 for 30 seconds, then jumps back up. On and off, on and off. Once everything is recovered it might be prudent to do a full reset on it anyway. 

Given the glacial speeds, it might be prudent to replace both drives.  Or at least test this one in a PC with the vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard or dashboard for western digital).  I suggest doing a full non-destructive read test at least.  You could add a full write-zeros/erase test - which of course implies a full reset.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements