× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 - Rescan or Rebuild DNLA Database

KorkyKat
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V2 - Rescan or Rebuild DNLA Database

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2, which I am using as a NAS and as a DNLA Server. It has two WD MyBook external drives attached, one of which has a Media folder.

I am using a Panasonic ‘Smart TV’ to link to this and display files.

If I add files or sub-folders to the relevant folders in the Media folders, the DLNA data shown on the TV very rarely updates. It seems to need a dramatic change in the folder structure (e.g. major change in folder name, not a minor edit) to trigger a rescan or rebuild of DNLA Database. Restarting the NAS does not do a rescan, even if the ‘Check Files’ or similar option is selected.

Question:- Is there any way to force a DNLA Database Rescan or Rebuild on the NAS?

On the WD MyCloud which I am also using, these commands appear as buttons on the control screen.

NAS Detaiols:-

RND2000-200EUS

Firmware:- RAIDiator 5.3.13

Software:- 1.00.271

Thanks in anticipation!!

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Other ReadyNAS do have a rescan control.  5.3.x firmware might too, but I am not seeing it in the manual (and don't own any v2 NAS).

But you should be able to force a rescan by turning ReadyDLNA off, and then on again.

Message 2 of 6
KorkyKat
Aspirant

Thanks,

I can't find it in manual, either.Can't find it on software either. Where would it be on other NAS systems? I will look again.

I assumed 'Restart' would be equivalent to 'Turn off and on again', as it is in Windows. Perhaps an incorrect assumption, I'll try that.

K

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@KorkyKat wrote:

I assumed 'Restart' would be equivalent to 'Turn off and on again', as it is in Windows. Perhaps an incorrect assumption, I'll try that.

To be clear, I'm suggesting turning ReadyDLNA on and off - not the same as restarting the NAS.

@KorkyKat wrote:

I can't find it in manual, either.Can't find it on software either. Where would it be on other NAS systems? I will look again.

With OS-4 and OS-6 systems, it is on the main service page for ReadyDLNA.  There's a "rescan" button right next to "autoscan".

Not sure what would happen if you turn autoscan off - that might give you the ability to manually scan.  Since Autoscan isn't working, that might be the best option for you.

Message 4 of 6
KorkyKat
Aspirant

I have found it !!!

If you go to ReadyNAS > System > Overview, open up 'Services' and click on the 'ReadyDLNA' button, it opens a small window 'ReadyDLNA Settings'.

'AutoScan' should be enabled. To the right of this box is a tiny 'Double curved arrow' symbol. Hover on it, get message 'Rescan'. Clicking on this starts rescan, which seems to  take forever. Lost patience, went ro 'Restart' and bed instead. NAS ran OK in the morning, but will investigate further!

This is only place where I can find 'Rescan', albeit very well hidden!!!

Thanks for help!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@KorkyKat wrote:

I have found it !!!

If you go to ReadyNAS > System > Overview, open up 'Services' and click on the 'ReadyDLNA' button, it opens a small window 'ReadyDLNA Settings'.

Thanks for following up - I'm sure there are other v2 owners who haven't found this control.

FWIW, the user manual for the v2 is missing a lot of the screens, so it isn't very useful as a reference.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements