× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo v1 and Seagate Ironwolf - not working?

st_1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 and Seagate Ironwolf - not working?

Message: I find that Seagate Ironwolf ST2000VN004 does not work with (old) ReadyNAS Duo v1. Does anyone have other opinions?

In a previous thread (autumn 2016), I asked for spec for replacement drives for my now very out-of-support ReadyNAS Duo v1.

I was kindly guided by the powers-that-be-on-this-forum to either WD Red NAS drives, or Seagate IronWolf.

As I have 2TB drives, my specific models would be WD20EFRX for Western Digital, and ST2000VN004 for Seagate.

Due to campaign pricing, I purchased a Seagate drive and stored it.

Some days ago, another disk failed in the Duo (as was partly expected).

I then replaced the faulty disk with the Seagate, and tried a cold reboot.

NAS never came up - stayed in the booting mode for 15 minutes or more on two or three reboots.

Tried re-seating the Ironwolf several times to see if there was a mechanical connetor issue. No Luck.

Replaced the Ironwolf with the broken disk, and the NAS comes up (albeit in a degraded state!)

SO: Does this mean that the Ironwolfs are not actually compatible with the ReadyNAS Duo v1?

It seems like it. I will probably need to buy a WD HDD, as the ReadyNAS still serves its roles in the house.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
st_1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 and Seagate Ironwolf - not working?

The Seagate Ironwolf has now worked full-time in the ReadyNAS Duo for more than 4 weeks.

And it even reports lower temperature than the WD drive it is sitting next to.

I can therefore confirm that the Seagate Ironwolf ST2000VN004-2E4164 2TB NAS drive does indeed work with the ReadyNAS Duo v1 with RAIDiator 4.1.15 (lastest FW as of today).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tested the disk using SeaTools?

Whicjh firmware are you running on your Duo?

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For your convenience there is compatibility info about disks (and other devices)

http://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Message 3 of 8
st_1
Aspirant

> Have you tested the disk using SeaTools?

No, not yet on a PC. But the disk spins up and see lights on the board.

Will report back.

> Which firmware are you running on your Duo?

The latest available. I tried upgrading a week ago, and "no new SW available". I will check the numbering later today.

Message 4 of 8
st_1
Aspirant

Indeed.

Unfortunately that list has not been updated in several years, meaning most models on the list are no longer in production.
In fact, the old disks I have are both some of the largest on the list (WD 2TB and Seagate 2TB).

In posts from the Autumn it was confirmed that the later WD20EFRX does work with the ReadyNAS Duo, and speculated that the IronWolf *should* work. I will try and check the disk itself today or tomorrow to see if it is a HDD problem after all.

Message 5 of 8
st_1
Aspirant

Interesting developments in the storyline:

1) after the unit failed to cold-boot with the Ironwolf installed, I tried swapping back and forth between the failed disk and the Ironwolf to assure that the ReadyNAS itself was still working. (It was).

At the third swap, I think, I gave the failed disk a "rotary shake" around the axis of rotation of the disk, just for the hell of it.

...and lo and hehold, the disk came back to life with the ReadyNAS, and starting a Resync. Smiley Surprised

I let it run, and it is now working as before. Nothing in the Logfiles or the SMART-information shows signs of failure in the past.

2) I checked for new software, and surprisingly, a new software was suddenly avaialble. (4.1.15)

I don't understand why this was not flagged in the autumn, as I believe this version is available since more than a year ago.

In any case the systems updated and came back up again.

I will need to consider my options now...

Message 6 of 8
st_1
Aspirant

More developments:

As per recommendation, I finally gave up on the Ironwolf in the ReadyNAS, and dug out a PC.

The Ironwolf turns out to be a dud.

Testing with SeaTools yields "disk is not responding to commands".

Ok, DoA notice to vendor, and new dish arrives this morning.

Attach new disk to PC to verify that it *is* indeed working (which it was).

Pop one disk out of ReadyNAS, swap, pop new Ironwold into ReadyNAS... and resynch starts.

After 9 hours, unit it now mirrored and fully operational.

Soooo....

a) The Ironwolf 2TB works in the ReadyNAS Duo v1.

b) Getting an (almost) dead Ironwold wreaks havoc with the installation process. Took some effort to nail the problem.

Thanks, guys, for suggestions and advice.

st_1

Message 7 of 8
st_1
Aspirant

The Seagate Ironwolf has now worked full-time in the ReadyNAS Duo for more than 4 weeks.

And it even reports lower temperature than the WD drive it is sitting next to.

I can therefore confirm that the Seagate Ironwolf ST2000VN004-2E4164 2TB NAS drive does indeed work with the ReadyNAS Duo v1 with RAIDiator 4.1.15 (lastest FW as of today).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements