× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 - Erase Issue

jchandra
Tutor

ReadyNAS Duo v2 - Erase Issue

Equipment Details:

- ReadyNAS Duo v2 (RND2000)

- 2 x 2TB installed

- RAIDar 5.3

- HDs reported as healthy by RAIDar

Hi All,

I have searched the forum extensively but couldn't find anything particular to my issue.

Last night I decided to factory reset my Nas by booting into the factory default option and choosing Erase (third option). In hindsight I probably didn't need to do this because I wanted to repurpose the unit to be a Time Machine, but partitioned, so was intending to use Flex-RAID. Once erasure completed, my intention was to set up as Flex-RAID.

I clicked the erase option and left it running overnight. I checked this morning, clicked on 'Rescan' on RAIDar and it still said it was erasing. No issues there, green ticks on the disks, I know it'll take some time. However, for the past hour RAIDar has been stating:

"RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR Storage on your network. Please check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For further assistance please visit http://my.netgear.com."

It just seems to have disappeared? I checked the lights on the unit and HD1 and HD2 are a constant blue. I am heistant to restart anything as I don't want any locked drives. But for the moment I wanted to understand if what I am seeing is normal?

I tried putting the IP direct into a browser but it didn't show the admin screen. Should I wait, or be doing something else?

If there is any other information you require do let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jchandra wrote:

Last night I decided to factory reset my Nas by booting into the factory default option and choosing Erase (third option).

This does a "secure erase" (multiple overwrites) and is incredibly slow.  FWIW, I don't recommend ever doing this.  A single-pass overwrite of the disk is currently viewed by NIST as sufficient.

@jchandra wrote:

It just seems to have disappeared? I checked the lights on the unit and HD1 and HD2 are a constant blue. I am heistant to restart anything as I don't want any locked drives. But for the moment I wanted to understand if what I am seeing is normal?

I tried putting the IP direct into a browser but it didn't show the admin screen. Should I wait, or be doing something else?

Can you ping the NAS?

You won't see the admin screen, because that requires the system to be installed on the disks - and you are running under the the boot loader.  Normally RAIDar should discover it, but it is possible that the system is missing some discovery requests because of the disk activity.   Also, if one of the disks isn't completely healthy, it might be running into a rough patch.

At this point, I'd let it wait for a while (could take a couple of days).

Message 2 of 9
jchandra
Tutor

Just tried to ping, and yes, it pings - that's reassuring for me.

Yep, I've learnt my lesson and will not choose the erase option in future. I just wish the dialogue stated that this was a secure erase, I don't think I would have chosen it.

I'll report back in a few days - thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 9
jchandra
Tutor

So it's been about 3 days now and still no change to the LEDs on the unit and also the RAIDar message:

"RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR Storage on your network. Please check that your storage device is powered on and connected correctly. For further assistance please visit http://my.netgear.com."

What would be my next step here, continue waiting or try something else?

Message 4 of 9
jchandra
Tutor

Hi @StephenB or anyone else, the status of my issue remains the same. But I am concerned about shutting everything off. Can anyone advise what I can do in my situation? Do I power off and restart?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jchandra wrote:

Do I power off and restart?

At this point I think you have to.

It is possible that the drive will be locked.  If you have access to hdparm, it can be unlocked with these commands:

# hdparm --security-unlock NETGEAR /dev/???
# hdparm --security-disable NETGEAR /dev/???
Message 6 of 9
jchandra
Tutor

Ok I'll give it a go. Would it be a matter of taking out each hard drive, connecting to a PC running something like Ubuntu Live CD and applying your command in its terminal?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jchandra wrote:

Would it be a matter of taking out each hard drive, connecting to a PC running something like Ubuntu Live CD and applying your command in its terminal?

Yes.  There is also an hdparm for windows that you could try.

Message 8 of 9
jchandra
Tutor

Just a quick update to say that last night the unit shut itself down before I intervened. When I turned it back on, it was back online. It completed the secure erase after approximately 6-7 days on 2 x 2TB drives. It did end up detecting that channel 1 had a defective drive, so your assumption was correct - perhaps the erase ran the hard drive through a rough patch.

So I think we're good for now. Thank you for all the advice.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements