× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ Died - Recover Data? #24845419

SimonM1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ Died - Recover Data? #24845419

Hi,

I've got a ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000v3) which I had to power down to move last night. It shut down normally (or so it appeared), but now will not power on. I suspect it's a PSU failure but can't be sure. Given the age of the chassis and disks I was thinking about replacing it anyway so have just bought a new 314, but I need to work out how to get the data off the old device. The important stuff is already backed up to another external HDD so I don't think I'll have lost anything too serious, but I'd like to recover a number of files which I haven't backed up.

I'm thinking of buying a second hand NV+ and putting the old disks in the "new" chassis for purpose of copying the data onto the 314 when it arrives... I know there are a number of hardware variants to the NV+ and I'm wondering if there are any obvious issues with what I'm proposing? I'm unlikely to know for sure which hardware variant of NV+ would arrive if I go for this option, so does anyone know if my (presumably) working disks from my RND4000v3 will "just work" in any other variant?

Many thanks in advance!

Simon
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Died - Recover Data?

You have a NV+ v1 hardware revision 3: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

For recovering data using the 314 you would need some assistance as the RAID format we use on the 314 is different. You could open a support case. Depending on the state of your array and volume there may be a charge for the recovery attempt.

Do you recall whether you were using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?

Your NV+ disks could be migrated to another v1, but not to a v2.
Message 2 of 6
SimonM1
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Died - Recover Data?

Thanks mdgm...

The NV+ was using X-RAID (4 x 2TB disks). I'm not proposing to put the NV+ disks in the 314, but rather build the 314 from "scratch" using new disks and (potentially) buy a second hand NV+ to access my existing disks and copy the data off over the network...

If I understand you right, there are no fundamental incompatibilities between any of the (3?) hardware revisions of the NV+ v1 (providing I don't end up with an NV+ v2)?

Simon
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ Died - Recover Data? #24845419

The NV+ v1 hardware revision 1, NV+ v1 hardware revision 2 and NV+ hardware revision 3 have only minor hardware differences between them.

The NV+ v2 is a completely different product.

Best in my view to put a spare disk (not from your array) in the replacement, make sure the firmware is at least as new as what you were running (and if not upgrade, then verify the update is successful), then power down, remove the spare disk and migrate your disks across.
Message 4 of 6
SimonM1
Aspirant

Thanks - that's really helpful 😄

I'll give it a go!
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Best to do a fan recalibration under Status > Health after the migration.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements