× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 v2 corrupt boot and a newbie

sparky3366
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 v2 corrupt boot and a newbie

Hi folks,newbie alert... Ive just been given an ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 v2 and the raidar software is telling me I have a corrupt boot. The unit has 2x seagate 2TB drives plus 2 empty bays. The drives do need formatting but I cant do that until Im up and running. When I try to run RAIDiator after unzipping from the netgear site, there isnt a usable file format...im bing told that.13 isnt a usable file format.

Please note, Im a newbie and have been around PC's since the old 386 and 486 sx25's...trouble is I'm now blind. I can still do most things but this is all new to me.

Any help appreciated...

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ RND4000 v2 corrupt boot and a newbie

@sparky3366 wrote:

It's definitely a v2 with external power pack...

thanks😊

Great.  The factory default through the boot menu is described on pages 24-25 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

Another way to proceed is to zero the drives (or unformat them), and then insert them into the NAS and power it up.  That will automatically do a factory install.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What you need to do is a factory default procedure from the boot menu.  That will reformat the disks and install the operating system on them.

But the procedure for doing that does depend a bit on whether you have an NV+ or an NV+ v2.  Although you say you have a v2, many NV+ owners mistakenly think they have a v2.  That's because the labeling is confusing.

An NV+

• runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says NV+ on the front chassis
  • has an internal power supply

An NV+ v2

• runs 5.3.x firmware
  • says NV+ v2 on the front chassis
  • uses an external power brick

Once we know for sure what you have, we can direct you to the correct boot menu procedure.

@sparky3366 wrote:

When I try to run RAIDiator after unzipping from the netgear site, there isnt a usable file format...im bing told that.13 isnt a usable file format.

RAIDiator refers to the firmware that runs on the NAS.  You don't run it on the PC.

@sparky3366 wrote:

...trouble is I'm now blind. I can still do most things but this is all new to me.

You likely will need help from someone sighted in order to use the NAS boot menu.  Unfortunately you might also need help with the ReadyNAS web interface, as it isn't designed to be accessible.

Message 2 of 6
sparky3366
Aspirant

thanks😊

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@sparky3366 wrote:

thanks😊

Great.  The factory default through the boot menu is described on pages 24-25 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf

Another way to proceed is to zero the drives (or unformat them), and then insert them into the NAS and power it up.  That will automatically do a factory install.

Message 4 of 6
sparky3366
Aspirant

We have lift off!!! Thank you very much for your assistance for this newbie...really appreciate it 😊

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements