× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ V2 Hard drive set up

TheDrSavage
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ V2 Hard drive set up

Hi

Bit of a newbie question, Sorry.

I ReadyNAS NV+ V2, Got 2x2tb 2x4tb WD NAS red Drives.

Want 2x2tb mirrored for photo, music and home videos, for secure back up. So mirror 1

Then 2x4tb as stand alone drives not raid, for 1x4tb for tv shows and 1x4tb for films. Dont want raid on them as they can be downloaded again.

How do I configure or set this up ? before you ask, yes Ive got nearly 3tb of films and over 3tb of tv shows. hence why the drives  are on thier own.

I have already factory reset the unit and put in the 2 x 2tb and put them as xraid2 which gave me 1.8tb space but when I put in the 4tb it added it to the raid and total was 3.8tb availble ??

Any help and advice, many thanks

Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V2 Hard drive set up

You needed to select flexraid when you did the factory reset, and then create 1 RAID-1 2 TB volume (for the two 2 TB drives), and two 4 TB JBOD volumes (one for each 4 TB drive)

The manual is probably the best place to start: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/UM/RAIDiator5-3_Home_SW_en_Nov711.pdf

You'll need to do the reset again, I suggest doing that with only the 2x2TB drives installed.

Message 2 of 7
TheDrSavage
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, thats exactly want I needed. Will set it off again.

Message 3 of 7
TheDrSavage
Aspirant

Hi,

ok ok after a few attempts, still can't mix raid 1 on 2 x2tb with JBOD on 2x4tb. The nas makes both sets raid 1, so 2x2tb is c: raid 1 and 2x4tb is d: raid 1.

tried to put all as JBOD, but it did exactly the same thing, so did a format, good thing I was on nights, it took 2 night shifts and sleeps during the day.

i can get both 2TB to raid but can't get 4TBs to stand alone.

cant see in the dashboard where to format 1x4TB after creating 2x2tb raid 1.

any idea ?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
TheDrSavage
Aspirant

I don't think I can mix Raid 1 and JBOD, as page 22 of manual says

disk installed 2 then raid 1, disks added 2 another raid 1 created.

you can't create a raid 1 after selecting JBOD at set up

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@TheDrSavage wrote:

I don't think I can mix Raid 1 and JBOD, as page 22 of manual says

disk installed 2 then raid 1, disks added 2 another raid 1 created.

you can't create a raid 1 after selecting JBOD at set up

That's quite annoying.  You can do that with all the other ReadyNAS (but I don't have a V2, ...).  Perhaps another v2 owner (or Netgear) can clarify.

Message 6 of 7
TheDrSavage
Aspirant

Can you tell me how you do it in your setup ?

ive rebuilt it as 4 JBOD disks, but can't see how you could change the 2x2tb drives to raid 1, as you can't get set up to run again without undoing the current set up and it detecting 2 sets of matching drives and making them raid 1 for each set, plus there doesn't seem to be any option in the dashboard to click and create the drives as raid 1.

it would be a shame if you can't mix raid with JBOD ?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements