× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ blinking power light

blacksky
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ blinking power light

I have had the ReadyNas NV+ RND4000-100NAS since at least 2009. It has hummed along happily all this time without much issue. I did replace the power supply in 2017. My current issue: after booting it, the blue power light blinks, the disk lights are steady green, and the ip address is displayed on the green screen. I can ping that ip address without a problem. However, I cannot browse into the machine to see my files. RAIDar also does not find it anymore. I realize it is old(er), but what steps can I take to get the machine working again? Thank you!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+,RND4000 |ReadyNAS NV+ v1|EOL
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ blinking power light

Try powering down and removing all the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar can discover the NAS and report the 
"no disks" status.

Message 2 of 7
blacksky
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply! I powered down, removed the disks, powered up, and my Raidar detects the ReadyNAS now and reports 'no disks' 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  Do you have a backup of the data?

Message 4 of 7
blacksky
Aspirant

The short answer is no. I'm not typically so careless but Crashplan discontinued it's non-business edition and I've been between backup solutions.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I'd begin by testing the disks in Windows PC using the vendor tools - seatools for seagate, and lifeguard for western digital.  I wouldn't allow either tool to "repair" the disks, as that might get in the way of data recovery.  The goal instead is to sort out the disk health.

The most conservative approach is to clone the disks to new ones before attempting recovery.  This would be done with a utility that does sector-by-sector cloning.  There are several free utilities that will do this, including Clonezilla.  If you don't clone the disks, then you should be very careful on allowing more writes to the data volume - that could make recovery more difficult.  In particular, you should use the boot menu option to skip file system checks if you boot the NAS again.

Other options are 

• Engage Netgear Paid Support.  You might not need recovery, your issue might be a problem with the OS partition, and not the data volume.  Netgear could sort that out, and they do offer data recovery if that is needed.
  • get a software package for data recovery (R-studio perhaps), and get whatever you need to connect your disks to a Windows PC.
  • Boot up in tech support mode, and attempt more troubleshooting on your own.

IMO the last option only makes sense if you already have some familiarity with linux commands.

Message 6 of 7
blacksky
Aspirant

Thank you. I have a cloning dock and extra drives scheduled for delivery tomorrow. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements