× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ "half-bricked" by apt-get update+install

eriklundh
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ "half-bricked" by apt-get update+install

in short: anonymous shares are acessible from Windows, but no webbased admin of readyNAS or SSH access. Both port 80 and port 22 is dead.

I own two readyNAS NV+
I have installed the ssh and apt-addons.
I installed a few standard packages like dselect.
(I have used Debian on most of my linux boxes since 1999.)
On one of the readyNAS I did an apt-get update and then "install updates" through dselect. (dselect=an old debian menu shell around apt). I was planning to connect that box to a internet-facing connection and wanted everything to be up-to-date security-wise.

I got questions about updating the security to debian policy. I said hastily OK, since it was one of many many updates that seemed to be needed. You can see my sources for updates at the end.

After that and a reboot, no webbbased interfaces was alive. ssh was also offline. Seems like the update changed access rights and possibly also changed password storage from /etc/passwords (encrypted but anyone can read) to /etc/shadow (encrypted, only root priv can read, the norm on Debian systems)

Note to ReadyNAS developers at Infrant/Netgear/elsewhere:
ReadyNAS might need some blocking packages or pinning short-term to avoid "half-bricking" the system. And in the long run, wouldn't it be nice if the Raidiator et al played nicely with debian standard security setup?

Half-bricked?
I have done a firmware reinstall, didn't help. I now have to go to factory default or USB-based firmware recovery. Thus killing a painstakingly organised 4TB x-raided archive, consolidated over a few weeks from a number of less organized 500GB USB-disks. I fiddled with this box because I needed to set up OpenVPN tunnels to securely access my archive, and in time mirror them between several readyNAS in different locations.
The only thing I can do with this box is to access the shares that has anonymous access rights. Any share with restricted rights does not work, since the passwords seems shot, possible linked to the debian updated password system.

/Erik Lundh
My /etc/apt/sources.list for readyNAS NV+
deb http://www.readynas.com/packages readynas/
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free
Message 1 of 16
Grievous
Aspirant

You've got a PM.
Message 2 of 16
krakhead22
Aspirant

I was playing around with apt-get and believe I "half-bricked" my NV+.

I can see the NAS in RAIDar and have access to shares via CIFS but not ssh or http (admin or shares).

I tried the firmware reinstall and no change.

Just curious if I can avoid a factory default
Message 3 of 16
Staffan1
Aspirant

A hint is to search this forum before going the apt-get upgrade/update path. There are many strange things and one is that the newest libc6 that pukes all over on the ReadyNAS series.

.staffan
Message 4 of 16
goudkamp
Aspirant

Sorry to bump an old topic but I had the same problem: installed APT, did an update followed by an upgrade and answered NO on all questions. Result: no more SSH and /admin/ access to my box. Shares did work however. What I did to resolve this problem:

- put the ReadyNAS_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.1.7.img on an USB stick using dd if=ReadyNAS_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.1.7.img of=/dev/sdisk4
- held the power button for 20 seconds to boot from USB
- after 'installing' the new firmware, held the reset button for 5 seconds and re-installed the firmware

And after the reboot, my NV+ came back to live without losing anything! Old passwords were restored and SSH access was granted.
Message 5 of 16
beisser1
Aspirant

apt-get upgrade is a big nono on the nv+.

has been said countless times on the forums 🙂

apt-get update is what you can do, but never upgrade.
Message 6 of 16
myragemedia
Aspirant

First of all, Im glad I wasn't the only one who thought an "apt-get upgrade" was a good idea :idea: BRILLIANT, NOT! I thank everyone one for the suggestions before I had to do a factory reset and was able to easily remedy this situation with a firmware reset, which granted me default access back to my control panel. Soooo, if your reading this, it may be too late but "apt-get" could, and possible will, crap all over some of your neatly working packages.

I also would like to say that ReadyNas makes some great, affordable devices that boosts productivity from within my home and on the road, Thanks again!
Message 7 of 16
remcoros
Aspirant

Wow,

I just got to this point in my console:

The following packages have been kept back:
cupsys exim libc-client2002edebian libcupsys2 libldap2 libstdc++5 madplay msmtp nis raidtools2 sysvinit
The following packages will be upgraded:
acl adduser attr base-files base-passwd cracklib2 cron debianutils diff dpkg ethtool file fileutils findutils grep gzip hostname
hotplug ifplugd ifupdown klogd libacl1 libattr1 libcap1 libdaemon0 libdb1-compat libdb2 libdvdread3 libgcc1 libgdbmg1 libgmp3
libident libiw27 liblockfile1 libmad0 libmagic1 libmcrypt4 libwrap0 libxslt1 libxslt1.1 login logrotate lvm-common mailx make mawk
mime-support mlock ncftp ncurses-base ncurses-bin net-tools netbase netkit-inetd ntpdate portmap psmisc shellutils sudo sysklogd
tar tcpd textutils timeout unzip wireless-tools
66 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Need to get 8650kB of archives.
After unpacking 3494kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I guessss i'll will answer with a big N.

It helps reading forums before doing crazy stuff, thanks guys.
Message 8 of 16
yoh-dah
Guide

remcoros wrote:
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I guessss i'll will answer with a big N.

It helps reading forums before doing crazy stuff, thanks guys.

Yes, don't do crazy stuff like this -- remember, with root shell access, you're pretty much on your own, and if you want to experiment, make sure you've got your data backed up, and you're willing to spend time restoring your ReadyNAS.
Message 9 of 16
optimus1
Aspirant

goudkamp wrote:
Sorry to bump an old topic but I had the same problem: installed APT, did an update followed by an upgrade and answered NO on all questions. Result: no more SSH and /admin/ access to my box. Shares did work however. What I did to resolve this problem:

Thanks goudkamp, you saved my bacon! :thumbsup:

Edit: Oops - posted too early. I re-updated my recovered NV+ with the latest build (4.19) and now it won't let me in via web or SSH again.

Re-Edit: Various voodoo enchants and power button mashing got me back to factory details and from there I'm back up and running. Ta!
Message 10 of 16
Killerc
Aspirant

Thankfully i decided to have a search before hitting upgrade, i'm a bit OCD when it comes to up2date systems, been a long time since i touched addons for my NAS and noticed the APT one, promptly installed it as ssh/root access and being able to do what the hell i want with my system are big things to me, far from some end user so don't like being locked out of "expert" options, i admin linux and unix systems on a daily basis so its nothing new to me to have commandline root access to a system.

But considering the upgrades it noted and the fixes/attempts here i might actually give this a miss for once.

Just on a curious note, has anyone attempted dist-upgrade? I know worse than upgrade but i am curious how that turned out 😉
Message 11 of 16
brogahn
Aspirant

I managed to do the same thing. However when the users/groups were being deleted the update stated that the files were renamed to /etc/passwd.org and etc/group.org. I booted to the telnet option (hold the power button for 15 seconds when you power the nas on, and then connect using the tech support mode credentials.

you can the mount the first drive

I used this
mount /dev/hdc1 /loopfs

changed to the loopfs/etc directory

mv group group.new
mv group.org group
mv passwd passwd.new
mv passwd.org passwd.

I then rebooted and was able to access frontview fine and it appears to be running faster.
Message 12 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

Be careful with that. Without X-RAID started, disk 1 partition 1 may be out of sync with the other disks. If disk 1 fails and it has to be recovered from the other disks, your changes may be lost. X-RAID on the Sparc systems is run at a low level, the kernel is not fully aware of it.

I don't have the X-RAID commands, but with enough searching, they can be found in the init scripts.
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I think you could also remove/reinsert disk 4 (the NV+ parity disk), which should rebuild the parity. Of course the backup should be updated first.
Message 14 of 16
mbescher
Aspirant

Regarding brogahn's post above (which works), instead of rebooting into telnet mode, simply copy over passwd and group files after completing the apt-get dist-upgrade and before rebooting.
Message 15 of 16
JCB75
Aspirant

Thank you for this! I thought I'd really done it this time. Idk if it will help anyone but I used this guide to get Telnet installed on Win 7.

http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Telnet-in-Windows-7

Also, after running the commands and logging into Frontview the password had reverted to default. In my case, for the NV+, that was `netgear1` with username of `admin`.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements